Towing with a NON homologated CAR

maurici

That sounds too much hassle when my aim was to buy an almost new car from a bmw approoved and warranted car... not a frankestain. Yes it would be an option, but not what Im actually looking...

5 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

It does seem a shame that towing is assumed to mean lugging heavy caravans and horse boxes that needs lots of expensive testing, where it could usefully be cheaply plated for lightweight duties at least. I wanted a Focus ST, but that has a blinking great silencer bang in the middle :(

Is actually more a case of marketing rather than capability and testing... 

Could you still buy the BMW you've fallen in love with, and then get a cheap £500 tow car? Just a thought. I realise it would cost more in the long run, but how much towing are you looking to do? If you were to haggle with the BMW dealership you could probably get the cost of a cheap tow car knocked off the cost of the 135i anyway. Worth a shot....:d

Get a tow van!   Keep your tools... sleep in it...   or a pickup and with some metal working you can  get rid of the trailer! :)

79481C78-B8FD-4BCB-A865-9E41A1ED5E22.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GaryD1971 said:

Could you still buy the BMW you've fallen in love with, and then get a cheap £500 tow car? Just a thought. I realise it would cost more in the long run, but how much towing are you looking to do? If you were to haggle with the BMW dealership you could probably get the cost of a cheap tow car knocked off the cost of the 135i anyway. Worth a shot....:d

Im actually very happy with my current setup... i do have worthless mk1 mx5 as a daily... and a subaru legacy as a tow car. But that means two cars, two insurances, two road taxes, plus... the hassle that they are quite old, and despite they have been reliable till now... i know ocasionally will broke down and i will have to take care of it. I live lije this because i simpky HATE modern cars. I cant deal with them... electronics and buttons and sensors and **** all aroun the systems...  till i felt in love with the beemer. That was a "sensible" solution to have a one for all, new, reliable and with warranty... hassle free for a few years. Buying the beemer and still have to keep the subaru for towing is a nosense...

No matter how good can be the beemer, it wont be more fun than the mx5 XD. The only point of all the operation was to go back to a sensible 1 car solution. But clearly... wasnt meant to work.

• Like 2

Cars are like shoes and handbags, it's not possible to have one pair. You need a car/shoes/handbag for every occasion :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/07/2018 at 20:37, Kit Car Electronics said:

It does seem a shame that towing is assumed to mean lugging heavy caravans and horse boxes that needs lots of expensive testing, where it could usefully be cheaply plated for lightweight duties at least. I wanted a Focus ST, but that has a blinking great silencer bang in the middle :(

I suspect that's the issue with the M135i - the silencer is dead centre right behind the bumper, so not sure where you would fit a tow bar without quite a bit of bodging.

This is why mine will probably be traded in at some point for something I can actually tow the Westfield with!

4 minutes ago, Exitus said:

I suspect that's the issue with the M135i - the silencer is dead centre right behind the bumper, so not sure where you would fit a tow bar without quite a bit of bodging.

This is why mine will probably be traded in at some point for something I can actually tow the Westfield with!

Nah. It fits straight away (regardless of the center silencer) I do have right now in my driveaway a M135I with a towbar fitted and homologated (registered in andorra).

Is a BOSAL towbar for a 120d... so same towbar fits all!!

135I andorra 2.jpg

towandorra.jpg

135I andorra.jpg

6 minutes ago, maurici said:

Nah. It fits straight away (regardless of the center silencer) I do have right now in my driveaway a M135I with a towbar fitted and homologated (registered in andorra).

Is a BOSAL towbar for a 120d... so same towbar fits all!!

Ha, fair one! That is really irritating then.

I do love my M135i, and whilst having a car I can tow with would be useful, doubt I'm going to be getting rid of it soon.

Can't you buy one in andorra....And then bring it over here?.. Or was that back on the original post???

@Mole

In andorra thr car is sold as a non homologated too... but, they have done an aditional document by the traffic amd transport agency down there makin the car suitable for towing due the similarities with the lower end models.

Then... a m135i bought in andorra, or in spain or wherever, will have the same problem here in uk.

What about a 335i. Same engine same performance. More space. Better looking (imo;)) and a better car for towing?

1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

What about a 335i. Same engine same performance. More space. Better looking (imo;)) and a better car for towing?

Yep. Though about that...

But is jut too expensive