Mazda sdv 1600 turbo

BenD

2 hours ago, Ben (bunje) said:

i was thinking of changing it back to N/A and selling the turbo setup

It’s a tricky one.

I do think “home-brew” forced induction cars seem to have a harder time of it generally, selling second hand, frequently with quite soft prices. I think they make potential buyers nervous. - And that’s nothing to do with being scared of turbos, it’s all to do with being wary of how well engineered and reliable the conversion is, and what quality of parts have been used.

The market appears to be absolutely flooded at the moment with cheap Chinese copies/versions of well known and respect turbo models. Needless to say, a good proportion of these are the usual cheap and nasty bits of kit.

A turbo conversion done badly has the potential to cause expensive damage, really, really fast to engine and even driveline. This is, I suspect, what puts people off most, from buying more expensive converted cars.

There are exceptions, but it’s interesting to note, that it’s typically very well known cars, with lots of history and by well known builders, again with lots of history.

While both you and the car are very well known in WSCC circles, I don’t know how far the reach extends... Sadly, the pool of possible buyers in the WSCC, at any given time is probably quite small.

On the other hand, when Gary sold his, not only did he have the advantage of being “first”, he had the extra bonus of all the very much confidence building stuff, with the magazine articles, etc.

An NA car is (unfortunately) probably going to be an easier “sell”, and put together as a kit, the conversion parts should surely get reasonable money?

To be honest it was just a figure of my imagination about changing it back. It would cost more than what I'd get back for it. And it would be so slow compared to what it is now. The engine with the forged bits and all new bearings is pretty much bullet proof. The turbo is in good nick and its got the potential for well over 200 bhp if it was so needed. Its so easy to drive the way it is. 

Ah, sorry, was forgetting you’d gone down the forged internals route!

It's too easy to focus on the turbo and ignore the Clear setup, Ashcroft ATB, Accusump, front splitter and so forth. It's a well thought out bit of kit that also has a turbo, rather than just a Mazda SDV with a turbo.

• Like 1

Asking price is spot on and very fair for what is a very new, highly specced Westfield. 

In my experience, where any engine work has gone on, it is important to show that the engine has been correctly mapped and have a proven Dyno print out. The big stumbling block for me in the ad is the fact the engine hasn't been properly mapped. For a few hundred quid back at NMS to get this fully sorted and show the real potential of that engine, with a print out, has got to be the best thing to do. Otherwise it reads a bit like an unfinished project, which we all know it isn't.

6 minutes ago, BCF said:

Asking price is spot on and very fair for what is a very new, highly specced Westfield. 

In my experience, where any engine work has gone on, it is important to show that the engine has been correctly mapped and have a proven Dyno print out. The big stumbling block for me in the ad is the fact the engine hasn't been properly mapped. For a few hundred quid back at NMS to get this fully sorted and show the real potential of that engine, with a print out, has got to be the best thing to do. Otherwise it reads a bit like an unfinished project, which we all know it isn't.

thats a good point, i do have the printout for it at wastegate pressure and it is correctly mapped for this, its just all the extra power thats in there hasnt been extracted with a remap. i dont feel it needs it to be honest, i only forged it as i felt it needed a refresh ovet the winter and whilst it was apart it seemed logical to future proof a boost increas if i desried

It's easy to say, but try not to let it go too easily. The spec is great and it just needs time to find the right buyer, I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

thats a good point, i do have the printout for it at wastegate pressure and it is correctly mapped for this, its just all the extra power thats in there hasnt been extracted with a remap. i dont feel it needs it to be honest, i only forged it as i felt it needed a refresh ovet the winter and whilst it was apart it seemed logical to future proof a boost increas if i desried

I hear what you're saying and would personally agree that 184bhp is more than enough, however, there's a big difference in both value and desirability between a 180bhp Westfield and a 240bhp+ Westfield. If it's only a remap away, I'd recommend getting it done and then you're advertising a car at its potential, not what you've settled for (which although I completely understand, doesn't read brilliantly to a prospective buyer).

1 hour ago, BCF said:

I hear what you're saying and would personally agree that 184bhp is more than enough, however, there's a big difference in both value and desirability between a 180bhp Westfield and a 240bhp+ Westfield. If it's only a remap away, I'd recommend getting it done and then you're advertising a car at its potential, not what you've settled for (which although I completely understand, doesn't read brilliantly to a prospective buyer).

i see what your saying, but it would also be counter productive to what im trying to achieve with the sale of the car. another remap is gonna cost me best part of 400 quid which i doubt ill get back from the sale, but i dod understand what your saying about the ad sounding like the car isnt mapped properly. so i will be editing this

Ben I know that you don't want to put anymore money into the car but a proper map is not all about power its about getting a nice reliable power and torque curve this can be achieved still maintaining the lower numbers, when I had mine mapped it was making way past 270 bhp but Matt Thorne ME Motorsport who mapped mine advised that with what I had fitted at the time 250 bhp and 230 ftlbs was enough safe and he tuned a lovely flat torque curve in mine so no big rush just steady stream of very usable power almost like a large normally aspirated engine .

I think that will be the making of your car and if you have the motor reasonable the mapping may not be that bad talk to Skuzzle or ME Motorsport.

I'm defiantly getting mine remapped once I get it back up and running as I have new bigger injectors 650cc Bosch, Skunk2 inlet manifold and up-rated turbo plus of course a full rebuild and full forging. I'm using the same ME221 ECU so I can adjust the settings for the bigger injectors but the professionals really are worth using.

I think you would be very very surprised the difference a visit to a good tuner and a rolling road can make, Plus you can show the map to prospective:yes: customers so they really know what they are getting.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.