Steve (sdh2903)

Mx5 1.8 clutch. How much power?

Just debating on clutch choice for my basket case. 230 ish bhp NA and 200ish lbft. The flywheel uses the 1.8 mx5 clutch. 

Now as it's NA in my mind it's going to be easier on the life of the clutch and I'd be ok with a decent oe exedy clutch. Or should I stop being a tightwad and get an uprated one?

What power have you SDV'ers ran successfully on the stock clutch?

I think your right on the limit of what the 1.8 clutch can take. But I'd trial it with a new one spec excedy clutch 

I have the same clutch as dave. It can be a little harsh though I feel compared to normal. Also not the best when reversing it's hard to make it slip 

Just now, Ben (bunje) said:

I have the same clutch as dave. It can be a little harsh though I feel compared to normal. Also not the best when reversing it's hard to make it slip 

I can confirm it takes a bit of right boot to get it to slip - not helped by the MC not being matched to the slave in the MX5 kit

12 minutes ago, darve said:

I can confirm it takes a bit of right boot to get it to slip - not helped by the MC not being matched to the slave in the MX5 kit

What size master is supplied and what should be used?

The flyin miata st1 kit would be ideal and gets glowing reviews however with import duty and vat it's up at 400 quid.

I used a competition clutch stage 2 on the ecoboost and that held more power and more torque. Was a smidge heavier pedal than stock but not overly so.

52 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

What size master is supplied and what should be used?

I'm sure @Mark (smokey mow) will know the answer to this one! :praise:

I started to kill an OE spec clutch at 260bhp/230lbft. It was protesting under the quicker track gear changes.

I'd be inclined to get an uprated effort, but still a full disc as opposed to 6 puck. If it's not being tracked, an OEM one should last a while.

Hi

not to sure if this any help to you, I have 1.8 mx5 running 276bhp at the road wheels, it has a stage one clutch from flyin miata. Just looking at the invoice it states it can handle 318 lb/ft.

i didn’t fit it so can’t really tell you much more apart from it’s up to the job no slipping but I find it like some of you a bit hard to control when pulling off in tight spaces.

52 minutes ago, darve said:

I'm sure @Mark (smokey mow) will know the answer to this one! :praise:

I'm not sure off the top of my head but its the same size as Westifeld use on all their cars with a hydraulic clutch.  I can check later in the week.

Skuzzle's clutch has good reviews on the MX5 forums. I ran a standard Exeedy clutch when my engine was running  250bhp and 230ftLbs   it coped well on the road but I was always aware that It could be on the limit, it never slipped and yes it is heavy with the stated mis-match of the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. I have a new Flyinn Miata clutch for my new engine as it's going to be running nearer 300bhp , I'm aware that it will be heavy but it can be slipped and is much more usable. I didn't want a puk clutch as they are more of a switch and very hard to modulate in traffic or when manoeuvring.............in a nutshell you want a an easy usable clutch I think that it's Flyinn Miata but I'm open to other opinions.....   

With everyone talking about the mismatch has no one tried a different master cylinder? 

Looking around shows the stock Mazda item being a 15.9mm which equates to a 0.625. Now I know it depends on pedal pivot points etc. But has anyone used a different size?

Good question this could also be one for Mark!! 

This is my Flyinn Miata clutch

IMG_20180721_133709 (1).jpg