Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner

Kevin (Mr T)

Our Dyson V6 has bitten the dust, literally, and we need to replace it.

Their latest stick offering is £550 and, having given them £300 for a hairdryer (when my hair takes all of 90 seconds to dry), I'm wondering what other people might recommend.

Mr Dyson seems a really nice guy, but he's already had a big chunk of my money!

We've just bought a Vax Blade, can't fault it, it's fantastic. Bought it direct as although it was a little more expensive, it came with £50 worth of free accessories, all of which have been useful so far.

When buying, I judged on price, weight, bin capacity, run time and overall voltage - the Vax won hands down. Has twice the run time of anything else. So much so we actually use it as our main vacuum now, as on boost and with the powered brush, it's absolutely brilliant. For other minor duties I turn the boost off as it's fine even without it. 

https://www.vax.co.uk/vax-blade-32v-cordless-vacuum-cleaner

Amazon have their prime day discount on today so you might even be able to snap up a bargain...

7 minutes ago, BCF said:

We've just bought a Vax Blade, can't fault it, it's fantastic. Bought it direct as although it was a little more expensive, it came with £50 worth of free accessories, all of which have been useful so far.

When buying, I judged on price, weight, bin capacity, run time and overall voltage - the Vax won hands down. Has twice the run time of anything else. So much so we actually use it as our main vacuum now, as on boost and with the powered brush, it's absolutely brilliant. For other minor duties I turn the boost off as it's fine even without it. 

https://www.vax.co.uk/vax-blade-32v-cordless-vacuum-cleaner

Amazon have their prime day discount on today so you might even be able to snap up a bargain...

Is the powered head turbine driven from the vacuum air movement? We have a turbo head for our Henry and it's mediocre quite frankly. I realise the machines are different but positive drive has to be better.

No, it's a separate unit powered by the main battery. Its bl**** incredible. There's a terminal between the main unit and the extension pipe, and then another terminal between the pipe and the head. You can use it without turning the powered head on and it still works well, but press the powered head button and it's unbelievable. The boost button just gets silly!! Great on wood flooring.

• Like 2

I went for the Dyson V12 Animal and it's the best vac we've ever had. Expensive ... very ... but so much better than all the others we tried out at the store (the big Curry's near us had a test display one weekend and we got to try a few of them).

My older portable Dyson is now in the garage (as it was still in good working order) and is perfect for sorting out the Westfield after a run.

Normally I tend not to buy British as the quality or customer service isn't better than cheaper imports but with Dyson I've always been impressed with both.

However I still keep looking at the robot vacs and thinking if only :love:

• Like 1

I bought a Dyson V8 from the Dyson Outlet. 

Looked brand new when it came and I saved a fortune too.

• Like 1

Vacs are a womans domain, man up get down to the pub!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Have you looked at repairing it yourself? I've fixed my Dyson vacuum cleaner many many times, new motor most recently. Being going now for more than 10 years.

Parts readily available from the likes of https://www.espares.co.uk/browse/mt362/dyson/v6

Plenty of videos online showing how to strip them down.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BCF said:

No, it's a separate unit powered by the main battery. Its bl**** incredible. There's a terminal between the main unit and the extension pipe, and then another terminal between the pipe and the head. You can use it without turning the powered head on and it still works well, but press the powered head button and it's unbelievable. The boost button just gets silly!! Great on wood flooring.

Thanks!

+1 for Vax. Bought it after I returned the faulty Dyson I tried to buy last year. On another note, Dyson customer care was far from great in that experience. Haven't needed to test the Vax for comparison! 

Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner ?????????

is that some sort of new fangled feather duster ?

did you get a free pinny with it  ?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Our Dyson V6 has bitten the dust, literally, and we need to replace it.

Their latest stick offering is £550 and, having given them £300 for a hairdryer (when my hair takes all of 90 seconds to dry), I'm wondering what other people might recommend.

Mr Dyson seems a really nice guy, but he's already had a big chunk of my money!

And that, m’lord, is the case for the prosecution. :laugh:

“Recommend”?  Professional help! :laugh:

• Haha 3

Must admit though, my Dyson V8 Animal jobbie has been superb, all the brush heads that came in the package are electrically powered, and it seems to tackly cat hair and the odd bit of spilled cat litter with no issues, like others have said, it's become my main hoover.

Oh and the fact that you can easily pretend its the science fiction or Rambo style weapon of your choice, does mean they're safe to discuss!

(And any bloke that owns one and hasn't done "gun" poses with it has no soul :p )

3 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

And that, m’lord, is the case for the prosecution. :laugh:

“Recommend”?  Professional help! :laugh:

In mitigation you Honour, I have a wife and two grown up daughters in the house.

• Haha 1

On 16/07/2018 at 19:09, Olliebeak said:

Vacs are a womans domain, man up get down to the pub!!

i got a guy in to do ours, his name is Henry. However, the missus is not impressed with his work, so she insists i show him how it's done each week.