In the "Old" days

pistonbroke

Indeed you could!

b2417b12c12d9730b22a6a9b171e15bb--clarks

But I hope this wasn't the driver!

13-dan-gurney-sebring-1964.jpg

True, and while I do miss lots about the old days, you also could and did, see them die. Not a part of the sport I'd miss.

• Like 1

In 2014 there were 1775 reported fatalities on british public roads , best leave the Westy in the garage then :)

In 1974 there were more like 5,000 deaths on the roads IIRC.

Oh, and mine is in the garage SORNed. It comes out for track days these days. I used to drive on the roads quite a bit up until about five years ago when the traffic in the south-east became so bad and so many people seem not to look at anything except their phones, I decided that it was almost as bad as motorcycling. I expect it's much the same in Wigan (or south thereof :o) too Bernie.

Its OK if you pick the right times to go blatting , avoid the school run like the plague , I used mine to commute to work for the last 5 years of working life , 25 mile round trip but fortunately only start at 10 am finish 6 pm so avoided the young mums with screaming kids and iphones on board . Most roads pretty congested here but 1/2 hour gets me to Cheshire or North Wales  the Derbyshire Peak district or Lancashire moors , early risers at w/e are best . surprised to here its so bad down there , thought it was all open country with empty roads .

1 hour ago, WINGNUT said:

Proper workshop :yes:

IMG-20170710-WA0000.jpg

Ferrari 312 T3  1978  Drivers  Gilles Villenueve  &  Carlos Reutemann  ?

Something else you don't see today,  mechanics wine & dining on the job :t-up:

Nice shot , but your not exactly spannering are you , more like scavin off :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Nice shot , but your not exactly spannering are you , more like scavin off :rolleyes:

:d brew times are not paid there for spanners down. 

12 hours ago, WINGNUT said:

Not strictly true @pistonbroke we still do it at our place :p

20170512_114641.jpg

I've worked in places that were a bit like this, but then office/admin culture took over and that means rules and the creation of a workplace hierarchy, to make sure the shop floor staff have a more oppressive work environment and know their place.

Oh and of course "health and safety" is the best excuse for this, can't have drinks/food in the workshop because health and safety, can't have phones because haalth and safety,, must do this, must do that, not allowed to use the same entrance as the office staff, not allowed to use the same toilets, not allowed to use the same kitchen/canteen, parking directly outside the building is for office staff only, because health and safety.

For me. the "old days" are as close as the late 90's, everyone came into work, got on well and got the job done, it's crazy how things have changed. I find myself looking to work for small start up companies where this "disease" hasn't quite reached yet.

@Lyonspride despite our organisations effort, our arrogance has managed to resist the beaurocrats and their waving rule book. I am a believer in certain rules need implementing but this good team building especially over my bmw engine table. This is the best team of people I've worked with (some people I'll say not all as there's a lot of Muppets also) and what we can't do together as a unit is rarely come across.

I started work in the late 90s and I know what you mean about the rules and regs. I left the dealers as the politics came in and ruined an excellent unit, and came here unaware I'd step back in time. 

Apart from the management as always having moments we are annoyed by, we are generally left alone so long as the jobs done and done right.

Sorry I took over thread 

17 hours ago, WINGNUT said:

Proper workshop :yes:

IMG-20170710-WA0000.jpg

Can anyone spot John Cleese and Terry Jones?

• Haha 1