Sign in to follow this  
Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

Zetec running hotter

I’ve got a blacktop Zetec and I’ve had kent 285 cams fitted, it now seems to be running hotter than before, on the open road or even on the track the cooling system seems up to the job, Coolex 50mm Ali rad. According to the gauge it running at about 90 degrees. I have got a couple of issues though, when stationary the fan does not seem to be able to pull sufficient air through the rad to cool the system so seems to be running constantly and i’m now suffering from the Zetec hot starter motor issue, which can lead to embarrassing situations.

i guess with the starter it a matter of fitting a heat shield to protect the motor and probably fitting a high torque/gear reduction starter motor, any recommendations on starter motors, any one tried the one Westfield supply. 

My current fan is a Spal VA09-AP8/C-54A, the one supplied with the build, its a 280mm pull fan, any one got any recommendations for higher capacity pull fans or helpful suppliers.

Rhett,

How have you mounted the fan, the Westfield bracket holds it off the radiator and lowers it's efficiency and also blanks off part of the radiator.  I have the Coolex radiator with the fan mounted direct to the radiator and it easily drops the temperature by the range of the temperature switch when it cuts in.

Jon

Just sent my rad to coolex, along with fan so they can weld on some fan mounts amongst some other mods.

Agree with @jonjh1964, the Westfield supplied fan mount pushes the fan too far off the rad!

Andy

Rhett, just to be clear, is this a change in cooling behaviour since having the new cams fitted and mapped? Or did it run ok for a while after the upgrade, and then suddenly change?

And of course, has this started happening shortly or just after the cooling system has been drained down? Obviously if it has, it could be as simple as an airlock.

On the other hand, if there’s been no change to the cooling system, but the problem has started since the new cams, it could just be down to the engine running hotter on the new set up and revealing previous weak spots.

I agree with Jon and Andy, the standard fan mount bracket just holds the fan too far off the road matrix for proper cooling efficiency. Like many things, you’ll get away with it, till you start putting more demands on the cooling system.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jonjh1964 said:

I have the Coolex radiator with the fan mounted direct to the radiator

Is that the standard fan or a different fan that can make use of the standard rad mount points.

10 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

is this a change in cooling behaviour since having the new cams fitted and mapped?

The cooling system has not been changed and I think it's run hotter since the upgrade, I've no actual evidence or measurements just the perception. I know we've had unusually hot weather recently but I've run the car on hot days in the past without noticing it misbehaving. 

I guess the key to mounting the fan is to get the fan working as efficiently as possible so it can do it's job when needed but for the fan (and mount) not restrict air flow when running in clear air. I imagine it could be easy to get the fan running more effectively and if not careful to stop the cooling system working as effectively while in clear air. 

Coolex seems to be generally very helpful so I may contact them for some advice. 

8 hours ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

Is that the standard fan or a different fan that can make use of the standard rad mount points.

It's a Spall puller fan that's very similar to the original Westfield fan and Coolex welded tabs to the top and bottom of the radiator to allow it to flush mount.

21 hours ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

I know we've had unusually hot weather recently but I've run the car on hot days in the past without noticing it misbehaving. 

I think this will have highlighted your cooling system being at full capacity tbh on a normal warm summers day,same as mine has ???

Like mine you were probably on the upper limit of cooling on a normal warm summer day,then the super hot air temp's we've seen over the last few weeks have pushed it past its max.

I had High temps at Blyton Friday but in the cooler air at Anglesey Monday it never got warm enough for the fan to come on unless in the pits

• Like 1