Blyton 2018 Feedback

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Best bit for me... we have never had someones other half left in lost property 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John Williams - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

I suspect she's been let down by a lot of men :p

A very enjoyable Thursday evening, Friday trackday and GF meal. Next year is already in the diary :yes:

The trackday briefing was much better.

I had a very scary moment during the trackday when approaching Twickers corner with @RussH in the passenger seat. I was pretty much on the bend when the start line Marshall made a monumental error and let @Carpenter Chr7s out from the start line :ghostface:. Fortunately I was on a semi cool down lap, in control and Chris also spotted me. We both took evasive action and avoided what could have been a nasty collision. Unfortunately Chris ended up mounting the large raised kerb and took his sump out :down:. I did go and speak to the start line chap as well as visiting the control box about it. It was human error on the start line, but a real brown trousers moment.

I know it might be a bit more work, but is it worth trying to publish a volunteers rota like we do for Stoneleigh? People would have a rigid timeslot then........one to ponder maybe?

3 hours ago, John Williams - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

I had a chat with Sylvia while on bbq duty. She was really nice and certainly saw the funny side once the Chardonnay flowed :d

Was a case of two drivers (hubby and son I believe) who both assumed she was with the other!

luckily the club was there to look out for her :yes:

• Like 1

Track day and sprints enjoyable and well organised, thanks to all.

Catering was good and I enjoyed the breakfast.

The sanitary facilities although regularly cleaned are dated and only marginally acceptable. While I can sympathise with the problems they had with the water supply to be told to go and crap in the field is not on, especially for the women. 

I'm always happy to help out, but with the trackday and then 6 runs on Saturday and 6 on Sunday there was no time.

As a general comment it would be useful if there is a red flag that is going to last more than a few minutes the drivers be told so they can get out of the cars. Sitting belted, helmeted and suited in 30 degrees heat for a long time is not only uncomfortable but potentially dangerous, speaking for myself I can  manage about 15 minutes before I start to feel the effects of the heat.

13 hours ago, KugaWestie said:

A very enjoyable Thursday evening, Friday trackday and GF meal. Next year is already in the diary :yes:

The trackday briefing was much better.

I had a very scary moment during the trackday when approaching Twickers corner with @RussH in the passenger seat. I was pretty much on the bend when the start line Marshall made a monumental error and let @Carpenter Chr7s out from the start line :ghostface:. Fortunately I was on a semi cool down lap, in control and Chris also spotted me. We both took evasive action and avoided what could have been a nasty collision. Unfortunately Chris ended up mounting the large raised kerb and took his sump out :down:. I did go and speak to the start line chap as well as visiting the control box about it. It was human error on the start line, but a real brown trousers moment.

I know it might be a bit more work, but is it worth trying to publish a volunteers rota like we do for Stoneleigh? People would have a rigid timeslot then........one to ponder maybe?

I had the same experience, but I always took that corner slowly just in case!

Could it be that people were not starting as soon as the green light came on? Maybe in the future it would be worth emphasising this?

Having done a lot of start line marshalling in the past, including Blyton, but not for a few years, one of the big problems is that unless you have a pukka course marshal with you, the volunteer start and paddock etc marshals are usually on one set of walkie talkies, with one frequency, and correctly so. While the track marshals are on another set, with their own frequency.

As a result, it's fairly common for the paddock/start marshals to only get stoppage information if someone that's also on the track frequency remembers to pass it on. Otherwise, our only advantage is being stood up, and sometimes able to see the waving reds and people on track clearing up.

As I say, not sure if it's already been done, but having someone like the lead paddock marshal or one of the starters on both radios, would help dramatically.

To be fair with stoppages, it's sometimes difficult to actually give a precise time, even with communications. But you can usually tell if it's going to be just a couple of minutes, or something much longer.

In hot events, as well as wet ones, maybe Phil lane brollies are needed! At least you'd have some shade while queueing.

It would be useful too if all the forum information was gathered under one heading (there are postings under Shows, track days and Speed series). Also I know there is a special web site for the Blyton Weekend but I can never find it, could there not be a link from the main site? Or is there one that I haven't found?

Hi Richard was nice to meet you and make welcome use of your covered trailer - aka sunshade!

The Blyton weekend covers the Speed series, trackdays and club events. Therefore people might not look under Speed series for an event or track days for a sprint. So it needs to wear many hats. 

Next time I’ll try and remember to pin a post with main info on it and link to that from other sections -  including a link  to blytonsprintweekend.co.uk