Group Runs, never taken part in one before?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Oh, and if you want ultra slick runs, (provided the cars aren’t too spread out it has an approx 1200m range), the Blue Tooth intercom system that @IanK (Bagpuss) brought along for our France trip was absolutely superb, with the lead car and end car linked via two way headsets, then you can constantly balance the run as lead car to make sure those following are still with you. Equally, you can let the back of the convoy know when and where you’re turning, while the rear car can easily update the leader that everyone is through the junction/roundabout etc.

The other thing we found out was that having matched sat navs, with identical way points in the front and tail cars again, reduced the “following” stress hugely, meaning you knew what was coming up, so could hold at what ever distance felt appropriate, rather than constantly having to keep the convoy tight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good article

I have set up and run many convoys for manufacturers running new car launch events - generally with up to 12 cars in the convoy (plus lead and tail cars)

I would always recommend having a tail car that is in contact with the lead car so that stragglers can be safely and quickly rounded up

Running a safe and enjoyable convoy is not that difficult if a little common sense prevails - never run a light to keep with the convoy, never take a chance at junctions / roundabouts to keep up with the car in front etc etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BugMan said:

Great article Dave :westy: :purple-westy: :dg-westy: 

Thanks.

The other thing that comes across in the linked to article, that if I'm honest, I've only really just started to consider this summer, is that if you have new party members who are less confident, or less used to their cars, ideally they need to be kept up front, near the leader.

Yea thats a good point, being I only have a few hundred miles under my belt in my WF I'm still very much learning the car, and would not really like to be at the back of a long train, as you pointed out things tend to "ripple" back in a convoy, which I used to see more on bikes what I was in my teens (long time ago)

• Like 1

I think it's something as AO's, we've perhaps not encouraged enough, I know I've been as guilty of it as anyone. Damn that red mist!

I’m going to say this with caution and experience here...choose carefully who leads or is even IN the group.  Normally it would be the AO to start with, but in tne excitement after a break, another may volunteer to lead.  This is fine, but there is sometimes a lead foot or risk taker who can really put things in jeopardy for all.  Choose the leader and tail gunner responsibly.  You’re having fun, but you’re looking after each other too.

i know of one group where they had a proper whack job, overtaking on solid whites and curves, late braking, doing well over the speed limit, etc.  He ended up running into the back of another member’s car on a run from being too aggressive.  (He also wrecked his car on two other occasions.). After that, he was never invited to join any more area runs.  So AOs, don’t be afraid to take control if and when necessary. :t-up: