Morris

XI purchase

Hi,

I am new to the forum as I am on the verge of buying an XI kit from Westfield.

I have arranged to go to the factory at the end of this month to go through the options list, but unfortunately Westfield haven't had a demonstrator for a number of years, although I did drive it when I visited them about 15 years ago!

I would therefore really like to have a look at a car before committing myself to an order to see if I still fit etc. as I don't remember how much of a squash it was when I sat in their car.

Would there be anyone in the forum who would be willing to show me around their car (before 20th July) so that I can get some pointers prior to visiting the factory (I live in Borehamwood (WD6)).

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Morris.

I've got a brand new fully built one for sale, save yourself the hassle of the build. :d:d 

Don't under estimate the time and effort / cost of doing that. 

PM if you' like to chat.

Hi, Morris,

I live just west of Oxford.  You would be most welcome to come over to mine for a look - and I'll take you out for a run in it.  If that suits, please send me a pm and we'll sort out a day / time.

Simon

I am in the final stages of my XI build, and live 5 miles north of Hertford. Car yet to be IVA'd, and seats currently loose, but you could sit in it, and get a feel for the " interesting" aspects of the build. I have a 7 as well.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the invite for me to see your car. I've already arranged to see one this coming week, but given the stage you are at in your build I'm sure I shall contact you at some point to pick your brains!

Cheers.

Morris.

That's fine. Prior to purchase it is worth looking at alternative exhaust manifolds, as the fabrication of the Westfield manifold supplied with my kit was dire. I had one made  elsewhere rather than use the Westfield one. Whilst Westfield would not take the supplied manifold back for cash, they did suggest that I might send it back and have a credit for further parts. I haven't done this yet, but worth exploring the options prior to purchase. Same with the electric fan supplied. I have used a "suck" version on mine, and am now stuck with the original "blow" version. Once again, you might be able to leave this out of the kit and have another item in its place.

Edited by Mark S

It's interesting to hear this Mark. I would have thought that most anomalies with building the kit would have been incorporated back into production or build instructions by now, but I guess the Eleven is more of a sideline product compared to the Seven which is built in much higher numbers. Anyway I'll see how my factory visit goes on 30th, following which I'll be ordering and assembling my garage, finding a suitable MG etc etc.!

Morris, the build guide was written by a customer of Westfield, in 2005/6. Copyright date is 2006!

Regarding the exhaust manifold, the quality of welding on mine was dire, but I wouldn't say that it would be necessary to have your own made. I got a local competent engineer to re-weld around the pipe-to-flange joints, and it was fine.

Morris, I'm not sure if you can receive personal messages as a trial club member, but if so I've sent you a pm which you might like to read.

Stephen. Yes thank you I received your PM, it appears that I cannot send them though! Your build diary looks great, I'll have a read through it when I have some more time. Re the build manual being written in 2006, that implies that how to prepare to meet IVA requirements comes from reading the IVA manual and from the experiences of other builders? 

Yes, I think that would be fair to say. The build manual was written long before the IVA was introduced.