Seiw Indoor Cover

Brad Stone

Evening all, 

I'm after an indoor cover for my wide body, I've tried the search function but not had a great deal of luck. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Mainly for dust protection but waterproof at the right price would also be useful. 

Brad

Hi Brad

Though you would have lots of replies so let me be the first.

I have tried cheap ones from Halfords - ok for occasional outdoors but make your car sweat with prolonged use

Also tried indoor only covers  from Autopyjama and Hamilton - Supertex which are tailored to your car shape loosely. Hamilton ones you can customise with logos......

These are both excellent and soft, yet protect from occasional brushes past the car and possible scratches from tools in work etc.

They are not outdoor suited. I am not sure you will find one that does both without it being very expensive or not great at doing the job. Outdoor use means it needs to be waterproof and therefore not so breathable. There may be a cover like this that someone else has found?

If you have a garage I would buy an indoor suited one and either use a tonneau for occasional outdoor use or  a cheap non breathable cover for the overnight wet storage and then remove.

Cheers Jon

I do t think that many people use indoor covers, in truth. Over the years, the most commonly mentioned one I’ve seen has been the Westfield stretchy, fitted cover. Deffinately indoor only and not in the least water proof. I suspect it’s only the most popular as people have purchased them alongside the car itself.

(Outdoor covers on the other hand, I’ve tried lots of over the years, as mine lives outside!)

For what it’s worth, of the many brands of outdoor cover I’ve tried, Hamilton, as mentioned by Jon, above, have been by far the best.

The thing with proper outdoor covers, is that they’re usually multi-layer, three, sometimes four layers, to incorporate breathable membranes and UV protection, so when removed, they can be a bit on the bulky side co pared to a single layer indoor only, dust cover.

I use a Walker St Clair shower cap for occasional overnighters outside or wet track days etc. http://westfield-world.com/carcovers.html

In the garage the cockpit gets covered with an old bed sheet, which stops dust but is breathable.

10 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I do t think that many people use indoor covers, in truth. Over the years, the most commonly mentioned one I’ve seen has been the Westfield stretchy, fitted cover. Deffinately indoor only and not in the least water proof. I suspect it’s only the most popular as people have purchased them alongside the car itself.

(Outdoor covers on the other hand, I’ve tried lots of over the years, as mine lives outside!)

For what it’s worth, of the many brands of outdoor cover I’ve tried, Hamilton, as mentioned by Jon, above, have been by far the best.

The thing with proper outdoor covers, is that they’re usually multi-layer, three, sometimes four layers, to incorporate breathable membranes and UV protection, so when removed, they can be a bit on the bulky side co pared to a single layer indoor only, dust cover.

Dave do you put anything under the Hamilton cover, ie a close fitting indoor cover, or does it go straight on?

You must put anything underneath, or it would trap moisture. These things tend to work by being breathable and allowing air to circulate so that condensation that naturally forms on the cars outer surface can easily evaporate away. If you put an indoor cover underneath, it would soak up moisture from the atmosphere and trap it against the car for much longer.

The inner most layer is a soft non-scratch layer anyway, so you shouldn't need anything.

Thanks for that. Think I will get a Hamilton one.

Thank you for the responses chaps - I think I will place an order for the Hamilton supertex cover, seems to fit the bill perfectly. 

Having said that, I also think the Walker St Clair shower cap serves a different purpose for the camping / touring type trips that I am very much intending on doing, so I think I will pick one of these up at some point in the future also. 

Many thanks.

Yep, the Walker St Claire cover is excellent, many of us on here use/have used them when touring!

(For year round outdoor storage, it’s not actually the waterproof ness of a cover that’s the only issue, if you want to keep the car in any sort of decent condition, you also need something that is going to give protection from UV, which does a surprising amount of long term damage to GRP finish and rubber work etc on the cars. The four layer all year Hamilton covers provide this, its part of why they are year round covers, and why a temporary outdoor cover intended for the odd week or two outside isn’t so great. Horses for courses, that’s all!)

I don't see any need for an indoor cover.  If you paint the floor, walls and ceiling you won't have any dust.

For outdoors buy the best, Dave recommends the Hamilton cover so go with that.   I'm another Walker st Clair user for when I'm away from home and need to park outside at night, so easy to put on and take off and folds up in a small bag which can store under or behind a Westfield seat. 

Just to strike a balance.

I wouldn't be without my indoor cover. My garage has rafters and lots of stuff stored above, painting the walls and floor simply doesn't help.

I bought my new stormforce (kitcar) cover off Ebay for £20. You just need to be lucky with your timing.

DSC03283.thumb.JPG.2889f559dd7b7d50f3712901078ea309.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I’ve just ordered one of these mate:

https://www.everycarcovered.com/collections/dustpro-car-covers/products/westfield-megabusa-2000-onwards-dustpro-car-cover

my garage is immaculate (:d) but has a boarded loft which we regularly use, this causes a lot of dust to drop down onto the car which drives me mad and hence the cover, my wife also has a habit of banging into it so it will hopefully offer a bit of protection also

Whoever was the first owner of my factory-built car, he ticked every box on the options list. When I got it, it came with a full hood and bag, tonneau cover, wind deflectors and bag, and a perfect-fit indoor dust cover that I can only describe as a 'onesie'! The cover is made from a heavy sweatshirt material, so can stretch and breathe, is thick enough to protect from small knocks that seem to happen in your garage and is so well shaped there is a bulge for the spare tyre.

DSCF6183.thumb.JPG.76d89d2afd08348066c5803ded9bbdb1.JPG

• Like 3

On 13/10/2018 at 13:27, BigSkyBrad said:

....is so well shaped there is a bulge for the spare tyre.

They’d make a killing if they did the club clothing. 

• Haha 3

I’ve just got my indoor cover and am over the moon with it.

Fits like a glove and is excellent quality, elasticated edges for a tight fit, storage bag and also has straps if you need - they even provide little silicone covers for the plastic clips to avoid any scratches!

highly recommended :yes:

www.everycarcovered.com

CA099C00-B9CF-4ED5-A3FD-80CE19CD4A26.jpeg

6268F34D-5484-491B-93D5-1CEC5A06C108.jpeg

E080EBE7-BD49-4E42-BFD6-EDEB180202DC.jpeg

F1AB5326-057B-4BB6-A38E-2B9770DD921B.jpeg

A3E63381-73EF-483F-8E75-66945803D5AB.jpeg

41E75747-A93E-4C2B-9271-5F04B3FB8AC1.jpeg

• Like 2