Steering Wheel recomendations

frubpato?

Having refreshed a lot of the interior , I'm left with the IVA style wheel which is I think  an Astrali  item . What do people use as an update that feels better (maybe a bit thicker with thumb rests). Also I presume I would need an adapter  - is the top column from an Allegro ?

I'm a big fan of the IVA Astrali wheel with the crash pad taken out, I really like the slight dish. But I think im on my own!

Steering wheels are so personal. I'd get yourself over to somewhere like, Demon Tweaks as they have a good display you can try for feel etc. Or your local WSCC Meet, where you can talk to lots of other owners about their wheels and try them out.

We'd need more details on your car/column to advise 100%. I've got a Works Bell Rapifix- http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/WorksBell.html

It come with a weld on lug, so doesn't matter about the splines if you go this route.

The wheel, pedals and gear stick are the interface with our excellent cars, so take some time to get these aspects right and it's really worth it!

• Like 1

Sparco 270 here. Simple wheel with the thumb rest. Will need a boss 

As others have said there is a degree of personal preference when changing the steering wheel. I did consider for quite a while going for quick release but in the end decided against it as I did not really have any issues with getting in or out and having a loose steering wheel is one less thing to worry about securing plus I was not sure where I wanted it to be positioned, I knew the default position was not correct for me. 

I went for a Momo Mod 26 (black suede 290mm) and very please with it I am plus an . I wanted it closer so also went for a 25mm spacer to bring it an inch closer, though I think I'd like it closer still.  

Have fun choosing.

I get mocked in here for saying this - I don’t care.  Narrow it down to a couple and print 1:1 scale photos, then see how they look in situ.  You may not decide on one you like but it may help eliminate one you don’t like.  Also cut out the opening and ensure you can see your gauges through the wheel, and see if it fouls your thighs.  Have fun!

/Team Momo leather 280mm diameter, very happy

Thanks everyone  - interetsing that most people seem to have gone sub 300mm   - The Sparco one looks nice but wondering how long a suede wheel will last with sweaty palms gripped on to it ? 

That welded top shaft looks very nice but  a bit "spendy"  - 

I prefer 300 or just be low. A great compromise of legroom, cockpit room - with half doors and response.

I would go leather wheel and race gloves with suede palms for grip.

I had a 300 and loved it, then swopped to a 280mm  suede and wish I didn't. Less response and worries over shaggy suede....:(

7 minutes ago, 6carjon said:

I would go leather wheel and race gloves with suede palms for grip.

You'll look stupid though.

Leather for a road car.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:31, RussH said:

I'm a big fan of the IVA Astrali wheel with the crash pad taken out, I really like the slight dish. But I think im on my own!

I like mine..... with the crash pad

• Like 1

Got to say I like the Momo Team 280mm. 

Really nice quality feel to it - shot taken mid-wiring upgrade for new dash!

564D1CE4-738A-4749-B9B6-0A5367EBE243.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Got to say I like the Momo Team 280mm. 

Really nice quality feel to it - shot taken mid-wiring upgrade for new dash!

564D1CE4-738A-4749-B9B6-0A5367EBE243.jpeg

Yep.  Note the wide window to the display / gauges and notched thumb recesses.  Also feels solid and chunky.

I’ve got the 300mm Team, I prefer the slightly larger size, having had the ever so slightly smaller Momo race wheels in the past. It’s a beautifully, solidly built wheel, though quite substantial weight wise, when compared to Momo’s race wheels.

if using any sort of half door or side screen, check carefully with wheels at 300 and above, that you have good clearance for your right hand, some styles of half door in particular, can have a return to the upper edge that gets close to your knuckles. (Funnily enough, only something @6carjon and I were talking about at the Cheshire meet last week.

Suede rimmed wheels, with a suede palmed glove give fantastic grip and control of the wheel without having to grip it too tightly, (never a good idea). But, the surface is easily damaged over the years, if got wet. Leather is probably more practical, long term, for those using the cars all year and all weather, round.

Odd (non-round) shaped wheels can offer certain benefits, but can be very much an acquired taste. They also tend to make more sense with quick racks and more track type use. If your sort of Westfield motoring includes a reasonable amount of wheel shuffling, then odd shapes, such as squared off and D’s can become annoying eventually.

Although a sepperate topic in its own right, if planning on using a quick release mount, Bear in mind some mounts intended for race wheels often only have three mounting holes for the wheel, whereas wheels targeted at road use frequently have six holes on a different PCD, so at a minimum you may need an adaptor. This will also move the wheel a little further toward you, which may or may not suit you.

As a secondary consideration, Bear in mind that some types of QR need you to precisely align the wheel and column before they’ll fit together, this can become a real annoyance over time. Also, many of the splined type and the hex type seem even worse, can develop play and slackness with use. Considering you always have hold of the wheel when driving, and are getting some type of feedback from the wheels all the time you’re moving, this, even tiny, free play can feel awful.

These days, I’d always go for a decent, self-aligning, zero wear type QR.

• Like 1