wide track front on narrow chassis

3cxjay

Hi chaps, i know there isn't many narrow cars in the series but are any running or not running wide track front?  ive got the chassis all stripped down and was contemplating a wide track front on my narrow sei and wondered what the advantages if any were to be had or weather to not bother and save the ££'s  

I'm a narrow with wide track. Don't under estimate the hike in spring rates required if you change to it. The advantage is stability and the ability to fir wider tyres without fouling but the shock angles become quite shallow meaning stiffer springs required

I run 350 front at the min but I didn’t really know that a stiffer spring would be required, Stuart has offered some advise so will hopefully give him a call next week to discuss, thanks John. 

It depends on what set up you want to acheive.

My experience is more Hillclimb  biased. I think its fair to say that Johns is more circuit biased.

On 08/07/2018 at 18:00, 3cxjay said:

Hi chaps, i know there isn't many narrow cars in the series but are any running or not running wide track front?  ive got the chassis all stripped down and was contemplating a wide track front on my narrow sei and wondered what the advantages if any were to be had or weather to not bother and save the ££'s  

It really depends on what you are planning to do with the car?

If competing any small improvement is worthwhile!

I run a narrow car in the SS with wide track together with a fast rack.

I have a live rear axle and all these add up and as John says your options for different tyes and wheels are enhanced!

For me the great advantage is the front and rear track widths are almost the same so that reduces the amount of things to think about when cornering!

The fast rack reduces the amount of hand and arm movement also!

It is really fantastic when the car set up is predictable and consistent which just gives a little more time to concentrate on going as in my case just a little bit faster!

Hope this helps

G

• 2 weeks later...

Slight thread hijack Sorry Jay

Is the widetrack suspension for the Narrow bodies the same as the widetrack for a wide body?

My brain says that the pickup points are the same but wanted to check

18 minutes ago, RICHARD+PHILIP said:

Is the widetrack suspension for the Narrow bodies the same as the widetrack for a wide body?

Yes, i'm sure its the same! 

Thanks Paul

My current widetrack is definatly mk1 version circa 2000 and a bit worse for wear.

so might buy a new set for christmas

Actually you might even have repaired one side after an off at Llandow a few years ago

20 hours ago, RICHARD+PHILIP said:

Yes the suspension pick up points are the same but you need about 1 inch longer shocks. I was lucky to be running Protech ones and they provide a longer top mounting bracket in place of the standard one1 This worked fine for me!