End of an era for me

SootySport

It's a slippery slope... 

A friend of my brother's retired and his wife said she didn't really mind him watching the horse racing on TV in the afternoon but did he have to do it still wearing his pyjamas? :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

got time to come to Snett next Monday @SootySport

think I've fixed (well Rob figured it out) my overheating problem

I retired from full-time at the end of 2012 and from part time in October 2013, after 30 years with the same company and a big job with lots of travelling for the final 10 years or so.  Some mates (the working ones) said I'd be a vegetable in 6 months; well I may be but I'm a very happy one!  At first I did think "Oh, sh*t, what have I done" but that feeling didn't last for long and I've never looked back since; in fact I wish I'd gone sooner.  I absolutely love it and my recommendation to everyone is get out as soon as you possibly can. 

And IMO, the most unfair question you can ask of a retired bloke is "So what do you do all day, then?".  I'm up at 7 every day, I've never watched a minute of daytime TV, I'm never bored and usually busy.  But ask me what I do with myself all day and I can't give you a 'meaningful' answer.  As Kurt Vonnegut said, "We're put on this earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different".  Enjoy it........

• Like 1

My levels of aimless flatulence know no bounds! :d

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can, with a bit of effort, put off altogether! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can only echo Stuart's comments above.

Every day is a holiday.....

I retired at 50yrs old from the fire service and bought a Westfield and a Suzuki 1250 bandit , Stuart is bang on with his description of retirement 

I think this just about sums up my six years of retirement.

IMG_4965.JPG

• Like 1

So, it's the second week of freedom now. Been fitting a new bathroom and utility room at a mates house, I did start it6months ago:d should be finished this week.

• 3 months later...

Thread Revival.--Calling SootySport.

01 Nov 2018 was the date SootySport became 'no longer a number' but a free man---officially retired.

How is retirement treating you and any update on your plans?

Thanks for the remembering date Don.

Went to the BT Tower for lunch with other 50 years of service employees, with wifey.   Nice day out and nostalgic conversations with the other employees, most are carrying on working, nutters.

Daughters flat renovation finished, mates bathroom finished, holidayed in Buxton and Prague a week each.

Now going to attack my Pug 205GTI restoration when the weather's ok. 

Also need to go on some sort of fitness regime, I put in weight all too easy, cycling, walking and swimming are what j like best.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SootySport said:

Thanks for the remembering date Don.

Went to the BT Tower for lunch with other 50 years of service employees, with wifey.   Nice day out and nostalgic conversations with the other employees, most are carrying on working, nutters.

Daughters flat renovation finished, mates bathroom finished, holidayed in Buxton and Prague a week each.

Now going to attack my Pug 205GTI restoration when the weather's ok. 

Also need to go on some sort of fitness regime, I put in weight all too easy, cycling, walking and swimming are what j like best.

Pug 205 GTI :love:

1 hour ago, Peter Robinson said:

Pug 205 GTI :love:

Had just the same thought!

Please, please, please can we have a resto build thread?

I love the 205 GTi's, a neighbour of my mum's and really good family friend of many years, used to let me drive theirs occasionally back in the eighties. Brilliant "GTi" type car, with a character that the XR's and Golf's never seemed to quite match.

11 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Please, please, please can we have a resto build thread

I second that!

I had a 1990 1.9 and it was in near mint condition. I sold it to get a fiesta rs turbo. What a mistake that was. The guy kept it for years and I tried to buy it back twice but he wouldn't let it go :(

Oh God, I remember those Fiesta's, I remember a customer giving me a ride in one, while I was round doing an install, he'd only taken delivery of it the day before. We got back, and just sat there with me trying to think of something diplomatic to say, and feeling embarrassed. After a moments awkward silence, he just looked at me and said something to the effect, of "b*****k*, it's crap, isn't it!"

Saw him again on a follow up visit a week later and it was gone! He eventually bought (some years later) a Delta Integrale Evo, and took me a ride over the Cat and Fiddle run. To this day, and including some pukka super cars, that is still the fastest and most fun/exhilarating run I've ever had on those well known (to me) roads. We laughed about that old Fiesta for years though!!

• Like 1

I had a one owner 309 gti as my first car. I loved it........ The 205's ugly sister but arguably better in bed ;). Glad the retirement is going well!

• Like 2