End of an era for me

SootySport

Believe it not, it's my last day at work.  I'm retiring from the daily grind of Work.  I'm going on gardening leave till the end of October which means I've done my 50 years service with Bt/Openreach. Going to feel strange for a while whilst I adjust my life to do what I want suggestions welcome.

The other other 'arf is already lining up jobs for me, Help!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Congrats!  Commiserations!  It's one of those things we all look forward to in life, but once we're there, there's no turning back.  Only 20 more years to go for me :cry:

Congratulations and commiserations!

This is likely to be the start of something big! You've got your Westy with quite a few outstanding jobs. There's more besides so make a plan. It could include a holiday as well, or need not. We haven't been away for many a year - don't feel the need. And/or you could move. That's what we did (too) and have never looked back! 

Good luck with everything you do! 

Was it really 50 years at BT/Openreach, or did it just feel like 50 years? :oops: 

well done bernie   take it easy  i mean now.  i know the last 50 years have been ,:p

12 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

This is likely to be the start of something big! You've got your Westy with quite a few outstanding jobs. There's more besides so make a plan. It could include a holiday as well, or need not. We haven't been away for many a year - don't feel the need. And/or you could move. That's what we did (too) and have never looked back! 

Good luck with everything you do! 

Always outstanding jobs Martin, plenty of time to do them.

Yes of course,  50years is a lifetime but I hope to be around a lot more.

7 minutes ago, SootySport said:

50years is a lifetime

More like 3 life sentences! Well done that's some going considering all the changes in the company/industry over that time period.

Enjoy it  :yellow-westy:

9 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

The "plenty of time" idea is a myth! You'll find you get slower too. Happy days! 

That's right! Someone alters the speed of the clock once you retire. After you've got up, had breakfast and attended to your personal needs, it's time for mid-morning tea. Then it's hardly worth starting anything as lunch is looming. And so it goes on... It's great! :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations on making it out the other side!  I did 35 years with the BBC before giving up. Can’t imagine doing another 15 on top of that......

My last day was a Friday, it was busy and my boss had to tell me to go home in the end as I was still flat out at the end of the day. I took a bunch of colleagues out for a nice meal that night, ‘recovered’ over the weekend then on the Monday, I got stuck in to a long overdue bathroom refurb. I pretty much worked normal work hours on that until it was done, and found it a good way to ease from the 9-5 into a more relaxed way of doing things.

after that, we had a quiet Christmas with a short break away then when we got back, I slowly eased in to my next car project. Since then, the missus was also made redundant and has joined me in early retirement. You’ll soon be wondering how you ever had time to go to work....

Enjoy it, you’ve earned it.

• Like 1

Time for that big trip of a lifetime and don't delay as you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

I had big plans after my retirement but worsening asthma, the need for 2 new hips and a fall that resulted in a minor brain injury has put a dampener on things.

Just go for it and enjoy!

8 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Time for that big trip of a lifetime and don't delay as you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

I had big plans after my retirement but worsening asthma, the need for 2 new hips and a fall that resulted in a minor brain injury has put a dampener on things.

Just go for it and enjoy!

Quite right - don't put things off.

Love all the comments fellas,  I already noticed the the clocks go faster sometime ago.  Luckily I am still reasonably fit for an older guy and never had long time meds.  Daughter moving into her first flat in a couple of weeks, so that's job number one, then my mates bathroom to finish off followed by my 205 GTI rebuild,  so that takes me to the end of the year.  

Gosh! How did I have time to go to work:d

and MOTCO, your right there mate the day doesn't really start till midday, that's been the norm at weekends and holidays already.