Re blacking steering wheel?

Sean De'Ath

Hi guys.

iv resprayed this old mountney wheel, but is there any way to get the grip back to black, without it rubbing off on my hands?

i haven’t tried anything yet, there is some stuff left on it from the masking tape, but it’s mainly just worn bare.

Sean.

739C37A3-6305-43AD-A04D-42E3712BA1FA.jpeg

BEB837C7-0881-4DAE-8408-63E160AEEC72.jpeg

You can re-dye the leather, then apply a clear sealer coat.

Its the same process used on car seats etc and is pretty robust. (Its only how most leather car interiors were done originally!)

This is the sort of thing.

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/How_To_Change_The_Colour_Of_Leather_Car_Seats

If you don’t want to do it yourself, you can have it done, there are mobile people that will do car seats and things on-site, too, whether they come out just for a wheel though, I don’t know!

Also, ask around your local shoe/key repair type places! When I was looking to try and get replacement Westfield ignition keys, I visited quite a few, and when you got talking, it was amazing how many had repaired steering wheel s for all sorts of cars. Everything from re-stitching, to exactly what you want, re-colouring.

Ill give it a go myself, pointless spending to much on it. I’ll have a read.

thank you.

Dave beat me to it. I was going to suggest a cobbler, I have one near to me who does a lot of bike gear, jackets full suits etc, I suppose they may need recolouring. 

Gliptones has good leather restoration products for this kind of thing - clean, dye, feed, and it'll be as good as new!