Peak District, Sunday 1st July

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

No pm yet Julie, lost in cyberspace :oops:

Got it :t-up: just got to work out if it's doable, no Margaret btw.

• Like 1

Just about to leave now ... see you all soon.

• Like 1

Okay ... got here slightly early :d

• Like 1

Thanks for today been a good one see you all again soon 

• Like 1

It's the 1st July, have you flipped your calendar over yet? That photo was taken at an outdoor centre in the Lake District and the kids were great 'my daddy's got a R8' yes maybe, but does he welly it round the Peak District? I bet not.

Well, we have Westfield's and today they were wellied around the Peak District. First we met in Matlock, there were Andy, Andrew and Mad Dog Pete, Rob, Scott, Nigel and his eldest Lee, and a Kinder Surprise. Your display in Sainsbury's was rubbish, but it did get better, in fact professional photographer Lee even organised the parking later, so we will look forward to some less 'snappy' photo's.

Matlock

DSC04799.JPG

A hot Bag Puss

DSC04803.JPG

Lined up at the lights ready for the off

DSC04804.JPG

Straight up Winnats Pass, only it's not very straight. My engine temperature was just touching 100 at the top of there and when we got on the level it was not coming down, I was ready to switch off I can tell you. There is a hairpin left and up hill straight after, I was thinking 'come on get down'.

Winnats Pass

DSC04808.JPG

Winnats Pass facing back

DSC04813.JPG

To arrive at The Rambler Inn for lunch in the shade. Paul joined us here for lunch, he was overjoyed to see Maverick back in action. Apparently Paul used to go on runs out with Andy's car, Maverick, and it sounds like there are lots of juicy stories to be told. 

DSC04822.JPG

Lee has lots of real photo's to add later, but for now you will have to put up with my snaps

DSC04823.JPG

DSC04825.JPG

Lunch arrived and the feasting began, it was just too hot today for a Sunday lunch

DSC04828.JPG

Then it was time for 'Bonnet's Off' every engine has a story and it needs to be told

DSC04830.JPG

DSC04834.JPG

We all set off together up Mam Nick with it's wide open views

DSC04842.JPG

Paul and Andy were heading back North, I am not sure where Ian and Rob went but they were heading back South, leaving just the 4 of us to seek out some cake. The roads were fantastic and we had a good run, until we followed a tractor all the way up the Elton Essess, unable to overtake until the top. Chaps, we will do them again, slightly faster. Arriving at the Stone Centre back near Matlock, and our naughty little parking area.

DSC04846.JPG

DSC04847.JPG

The cake arrived as we cooked in the sun.

DSC04848.JPG

Home time. That just left Andrew and Pete to follow us on a back route, avoiding any queue's in Matlock Bath, with Scott heading South and Nigel and Lee heading for petrol. Another fantastic day out with great company, lots of different engines and their quirks, thank you for coming everyone.

It's Blyton Park next weekend, so there won't be any action in the Peak District until the weekend after.

DSC04852.JPG

• Like 5

It's not blyton till the weekend after julie. Looks like you had a great day.

Great to meet everyone today and thanks @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AOfor a great day out.

After following Paul to the A57 the sat Nav decided to take me on a mystery tour that included going up Mortimer Road ... stunning route with lots of tight bends and fun bits. Stopped for a cigar by one of the lakes and then melted on the way back home. Really need to pack sun cream next time!

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, good job you said. 

Mortimer Road is an amazing road, it goes past The Strines, we take it when we go to the Oil Can Cafe. Lots of fun. It's a shame the Oil Can Cafe has closed and Robin Red Spider tells me that the new one is not very good. I think we could do that road on our next meet, well done Andy for reminding me of it.

Great to see you all today, some fab roads to the pub :)

• Like 2

Great to meet everyone for my first Westie run out today - seems I picked a brilliant day for it - eight brilliant cars, a great route, superb lunch stop and a huge tractor.....

I turned up at Matlock with something over three quarters of a tank, but by the cake stop, the fuel gauge was sitting at zero going up hills and not much more pointing down. A trundle down into Cromford to the nearest petrol station found it open, but with no fuel :( so we carried on down the A6 for a few more miles and found a BP station, where I put over 18 litres into my 20 litre tank. A remap is in order anyway to sort the spitting back through the throttle bodies - maybe it will sort the fuel consumption - surely 22mpg is a bit heavy for such a light car, despite having to give it some welly to stay with a certain lady driver.....

Lee should have some photos sorted in the next few days - I'll post them as soon as I have them

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NigelO said:

spitting back through the throttle bodies

@NigelOThe throttle bodies may just need balancing..  pop over to Derby and i will balance them for you.  

Or we can meet at Julie's next trip out and I will do it there..... it's a 10 minute job

• Like 4

Another great day out organised by Julie, As you lot know i wasnt on the circular but met you all at the pub half way round my own little 80 mile circular.

Thanks Julie :t-up::d

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NigelO said:

Great to meet everyone for my first Westie run out today - seems I picked a brilliant day for it - eight brilliant cars, a great route, superb lunch stop and a huge tractor.....

I turned up at Matlock with something over three quarters of a tank, but by the cake stop, the fuel gauge was sitting at zero going up hills and not much more pointing down. A trundle down into Cromford to the nearest petrol station found it open, but with no fuel :( so we carried on down the A6 for a few more miles and found a BP station, where I put over 18 litres into my 20 litre tank. A remap is in order anyway to sort the spitting back through the throttle bodies - maybe it will sort the fuel consumption - surely 22mpg is a bit heavy for such a light car, despite having to give it some welly to stay with a certain lady driver.....

Lee should have some photos sorted in the next few days - I'll post them as soon as I have them

Glad you enjoyed it @NigelO as always @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO delivered cracking weather, roads and wonderful food. just a shame the roads were rather busy!

We'll look forward to seeing Lee's pics.

• Like 1

Busy? you missed the best bit from Tideswell, we had a free run up the twisties, that was before the tractor