I broke it, again.

Jonathan.edwards

I have a pair of these drive shafts in my garage, before you get too excited though, they served their purpose for 10 years on my 190Bhp XE then suddenly one of them started slipping at one of the pressed joints (think that is what the joints  are but would appreciate someone enlightening me) 

Now, I had planned to look into fixing the slipping one and keeping them as spares, but when it went a member on here helped me out a lot, so I might be inclined to help you out with a sale or 'loan on deposit' arrangement. 

Of course they just may not cope with your power, may end up broken, or may need something done to make them more robust before you fit them.  I am not sure what the options for fixing the slipping one are anyway (anyone?  ) 

Jim

20180625_113037.jpg

20180625_113030.jpg

I would love to purchase these off you, or atlease one of. Assuming they're the right length. 

The press fit that is slipping on your shafts, I have welded, on my current shafts. Therefore I can swap the ends. and replace the Universal joints at the same time. 

Many thanks 

7 hours ago, RussH said:

This is rich coming from me, but a touch more mechanical sympathy might help too... You shouldn't need to kick the clutch to get it sideways with 270bhp....

I'm sure you can mind read sometimes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes agree. A sideways step off the clutch at 4000rpm + with that sort of HP isn't going to do an English diff or shafts any good at all. They are probably fairly reliable up to 200hp and even then you need to be a bit kind.

Ended up having the hub professionally welded. Rebuilt Jim’s old shafts, and we’re back in business. 

30BBD147-5F59-4CA1-9995-F3368942C42C.jpeg

0E0F939F-BE05-4096-B6D0-659B3BA61C1D.jpeg

472ADE0E-81C3-4CB3-922F-992B804DC4BA.jpeg

AEDF4BAA-2586-4172-9C2E-A927E2737576.jpeg

Yep welding looks acceptable I would suggest getting the whole casting including welds crack detected. A little bit of dye penetrant shouldn't cost a lot or cause any problems. Just an additional safety precaution.

Bob

• Like 1