MBE 956E ECU Advice

MattCrofts

I have an 1800 Speedsport with Zetec E engine, Jenvy throttle bodies and an MBE 956E ECU.  I have had to replace my ECU and was lucky enough recently to source a pre used unit.  I have cleared the existing map from it and installed my map from my original ECU.  The map that was originally on it was for a Vauxhall XE engine.

The coolant temperature sensor is reading -22 degrees when the sensor is connected and it overfuels when running, and 90 degrees when disconnected, then the engine underfuels when running.  I’ve discovered that there is a resistor on the ECU which needs changing from 1000 ohms to 10,000 ohms in order to recalibrate the temperature sensor to suit the Zetec engine, but I don’t know which one it is at this stage.  Does anyone know which component number it is that I need to replace inside the ECU?

Many thanks!

Thanks Tony, 

have dropped Ian a line but wondered if there was knowledge on here as well.

Ok. what easymap are you running i need to alter the cold start but wasn't sure what to use or how to do it

Tony

Slight thread hijack Tony , what do you think needs changing on the cold start?  I am using an old Dell with Easimap 4 and a serial port with my 956. 

I think there is only one map that directly affects cranking, that adds more fuel the colder it is.  the main fuel and ignition maps also add fuel and advance the ignition at engine speeds  below idle. 

If I remember  correctly some ecus  were modified with a resistor so the loom could be hooked up to a standard ford coolant sensor..... rather than a Mbe matched sensor.  So you could use a crate engine.your ecus doesn't  match your sensor.  Ian oddie knows how degree they are out

Ian oddie can modify the ecus.. you need to understgand if you ecus is or isn't  fitted with a resistor.... ian will know

For the moment run with the sensor  disconnected.. default 90c it will start ok as its summer.   

6 minutes ago, jim_l said:

Slight thread hijack Tony , what do you think needs changing on the cold start?  I am using an old Dell with Easimap 4 and a serial port with my 956. 

I think there is only one map that directly affects cranking, that adds more fuel the colder it is.  the main fuel and ignition maps also add fuel and advance the ignition at engine speeds  below idle. 

Im not sure ian told me i could change the cold start fueling to add more but not sure how to do it he wasn't using easy map 4 he was using a newer version he said some features didnt work but i wouldn't need them .

I know which map and how to change it. Obviously I am not sure if that would solve your problem.  Why don't you start a thread discussing the symptoms and see what other things you might try before altering this map, not that altering this particular map is a big thing but I am some way from you. 

Hi jim 

The map i have is from my old 912 ecu ian copied it onto my 956 ecu. there was no provision for cold start on the 912 but there is on the 956 i just need to set it up .my laptop is being repaired at the moment i had easymap 4 and could see all the parameters but didn't know how to change or setup the cold start. 

Sorry for the hijack Matt

Tony