Valey80

Swirl Pot or Baffled Tank

Valey80

Some advice please!

I'm suffering fuel surge, but not sure if I should go for external swirl pot with LP pump or just replace the tank to a baffled tank?

Prices seem to be pretty close, so it's more a case of ease of installation and effectiveness to prevent surge.

Any recommendations please for which way to go and also replacement parts? 

I have an SEIW 2.0 Zetec black top.

So if baffled tank - which one please?

Or if swirl pot and pump - again which one?

Thanks folks

TableLeg

Personally I'd say go swirl pot. Plenty of pots to choose from, depending on the quantity of fuel you want to hold. Pump wise you only need an LP pump. Something like a Facet Red Top or similar should suffice.

SootySport

Swirl pot will definitely cure fuel surge, a baffled tank doesn't always work.    So go with the swirl pot and you'll save the hassle of removing the tank-----it's a pain.

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Swirl pot.

Sorted mine and wasn’t difficult. 

Valey80

Thanks guys!

Valey80

So I ordered the swirl pot and pump, and with my old man we set about making the change. Didn't get very far and realised that the fuel tank I have in place has an internal fuel pump and so we downed tools.

When looking at the install, everything I found said (simplistically), fuel tank to LP Pump, to Swirl Pot, to HP Fuel pump, to fuel rail (with appropriate returns and overflows etc.)

If the HP pump is integrated, how can this series link be done?

I've seen these as a potential solution:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuel-tank-baffles/demon-tweeks-easy-pour-fuel-tank-baffle

Am I missing something? Any thoughts folks?

Thanks

TableLeg

Where exactly is the pump situated within the tank? Can you not just remove it leaving the outlet to be plumbed to the LP pump?

Might help if you put up some pics of the tank and pump setup you have.

• Like 1

Kevin Wood

I don't see why you can't use the in-tank pump as a lift pump to the surge pot if it can't easily be removed. In this case, don't put any restriction in the return from the surge pot to the tank and it'll just pump round this circuit at low pressure.

Alternatively, take out the in-tank pump and have a look at it. It might be straightforward to convert it to an "out-of-tank" pump and just lengthen the pipe that drops down to it to the bottom of the tank.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
3 hours ago, Kevin Wood said:

I don't see why you can't use the in-tank pump as a lift pump to the surge pot if it can't easily be removed. In this case, don't put any restriction in the return from the surge pot to the tank and it'll just pump round this circuit at low pressure.

Will it pump it round at low pressure? (Never metered a high pressure pump pumping in that sort of situation, the idea does trouble me though, with no restriction, won't the pump constantly be working hard and pumping fuel through the circuit at a hell of a rate? And the other, is that if any sort of restriction did occur, you could suddenly be trying to pressurise an essentially non pressure rated tank to over 3 bar, with highly volatile fuel... 

Kevin Wood

It's true that it could build more pressure than ideal if the return got blocked, but I think it would just run very lightly loaded if the outlet was unrestricted. It's designed to pump a smallish volume into a "load" of 3 BAR or more, without any restriction upstream it would just pump a slightly higher volume and raise very little pressure. In doing so, the internal motor would be loaded much less heavily, so it would probably be quite happy.