Lemans - driving in France

kevip6

Hi all,

Off to Lemans Wednesday morning and just wanted to check if I need to adjust my headlights? It's a 2010 Focus with HID lights and I can switch them to mask for driving on the right but I'm not planning to drive at night. Do they check them at border control at all (on the channel tunnel) or is it spot checks when out there? 

I need to remove both headlights to adjust so it's not too straightforward. 

I have all the other kit they require (triangle, high vis, breathaliser, etc.. )

Thanks 

I've done circa 4 trips in tin top to Northern France and one trip to Le Mans in the Westie. Never had lights checked. Did get a tug at a  toll booth in the Westie but only wanted to check my docs and breathalyse me. I'd worry not!

• Thanks 1

No one checks UK vehicles for lights or all the extra stuff you need to take.

I always forget most of the stuff your supposed to do, usually the lights but rare drive at night.   The AA do list the requirements on their website if you're keen.

According to Lexus the LED headlamps on my wife’s car are classed as “flat” and don’t need any adjustment. I’ve often wondered how I would explain that to a non English speaking gendarme. Never been stopped in lots of trips so far.

You will need them on driving during the day. Bad weather headlights on, tunnels etc.

On 09/06/2018 at 20:17, kevip6 said:

Do they check them at border control at all

They don't check passports properly at border control. The chances of a minimum wage border control womble knowing the law on headlights is slim and actually giving a damn about them is zero...

Been to Le Mans loads in the Westfield. I think I used beam deflectors once 'cos it was my first time...

• Thanks 1

ive been going to Le Mans for years but not this year (thats another story)

never used headlight deflectors and we have been pulled a few times at customs they are more interested in swabbing the steering wheel

have a great time

33 minutes ago, CL290005 said:

never used headlight deflectors and we have been pulled a few times at customs they are more interested in swabbing the steering wheel

Let them swab away. All they'll find on mine hopefully is remains of factor 50 and sweat :p. They even breathalyzed me last year at a toll both , with their own tester (must have been a wealthy region)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

They even breathalyzed me last year at a toll both

Toll both? Sacré bleu! Stick to the N138. No toll booths, friendly locals and good coffee, plus the occasional speed trap but they're usually easy to spot :oops:  

• Haha 1