New laptop/desk top

Ianboom

I'm after a new (preferably) laptop or desk PC to run a simulator for my RC helicopter.
The spec I need is;

Optimal system: 
CPU: 2.3GHz 
System memory: 4 GB RAM 
1 GB hard drive space 
GPU: 3D support and 512 MB RAM 

Optimal system for Full HD video output: 
CPU: 2.3GHz 
System memory: 8 GB RAM 
1 GB hard drive space 
GPU: 3D support and 2048 MB RAM 

It's a long time since I built 386's and 486's, so can anybody advise me what would be better, laptop, desk top or build my own and where's the best place to buy one from?

Thanks.

You can build a perfectly capable desktop for way less than a factory built one and it's so easy these days. I've built 3 or 4 PCs now and usually just get all the parts off Amazon.

They're expensive-I was hoping it would be cheaper for a pc with the spec I listed.

Doing a bit more research, I don't need the optimal spec as I can't watch 3d stuff (binocular disparity) but I quite like the idea of VR goggles.

whats your budget is the first thing you really need to decide. and once you get into the realms of vr your talking high end graphics cards and big budgets. my last gaming pc was well over 3grand but the majority of cost was 2 graphics cars at 900 quid each

• Haha 1

My budget is as little as possible!

I won't be playing any other games on the pc, not sure if this makes any difference. VR maybe a stretch too far??

I can get 10% off Dell laptops, been looking at one for £800, but there are options for extra warranties, anti virus etc

vr requires a fair amount of power to run smoothly hence the cost. but if your budget is 800 quid then your in the right ball park. but the vr your looking for are we talking like oculus rift and htc vr or is it something different. if im honest most of the tat that comes on dell computers isnt worth the extra you pay fro them overclockers you can go wrong

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-vision-vr-gaming-pc-intel-8th-generation-3.6ghz-quad-core-fs-1c5-og.html

something like that will run vr comfortable but theres no softare included like windows so add that on top and id also opt for a ssd drive to run the operating sytem on

That's a nice bit of kit, £1000 all in plus £400 for the VR headset but it is a lot of cash.

It seems a lot to run one sim, but a guy I fly with spent £4000 on kit and says the headset is amazing to fly with.

I assume just to run the simulator needs a lot lower spec pc?

Are the specs posted above the recommended for the simulator? The specs above are quite low as far as pc specs go

It's been a while so things have undoubtedly moved on, but I ran a heli sim a few years back and at that time, it wasn't a particularly demanding spec compared to a gaming PC say. I was able to run it perfectly successfully on an iMac under VMware Fusion PC emulation, much to my surprise!  Again, things have probably changed, but back then, while the graphics were OK, the main thing was that the flight dynamics were correct, so they tended to sacrifice photo-realism for better simulation accuracy, which meant the platform demands were reasonably modest.

Which sim by the way? I used to use Reflex. 

This is the sim that is supposed to be most realistic

http://www.rc-aerobatics.eu/cgm-rc-heli-simulator_e.html

I have phoenix, which runs on my PC on a low resolution setting, but I can never get it to feel like flying a heli.

I also have accurc and this runs low res, but after a couple of minutes my laptop shouts enough!

The settings aren't really ground breaking for building a pc a 2gb graphics card will cost you 200 quid ish for a decent one which will be more than adequate for you what you require what system we're you looking at from dell 

I hadn't picked a specific Dell laptop, I'd just looked on their site as we get a discount.

I've spoken to a couple of other heli sim users and although VR sounds amazing, most use a large TV.

As I don't intend to play any other games, and I would rather use a laptop (for when I'm away) I reckon I'd be better buying a lower spec laptop or even second hand.

Is that a bad idea??