Sign in to follow this  
James_westy

Westfield st170 bike itb help. (Cutting out problems)

Kevin Wood

One other suggestion - the radiator fan might help keep the underbonnet area cool. I know it's going to pull air through the radiator, so it'll be warm, but it will at least circulate air around the engine bay rather than let very hot air accumulate from around the exhaust. Can you wire it to be permanently on as an experiment to see if that helps?

If it's controlled by your ECU maybe you can set it up to come on when the intake air temperature rises, and maybe that would be enough to stop the fuel vapourising, if that's what is happening?

James_westy
1 hour ago, Kevin Wood said:

One other suggestion - the radiator fan might help keep the underbonnet area cool. I know it's going to pull air through the radiator, so it'll be warm, but it will at least circulate air around the engine bay rather than let very hot air accumulate from around the exhaust. Can you wire it to be permanently on as an experiment to see if that helps?

If it's controlled by your ECU maybe you can set it up to come on when the intake air temperature rises, and maybe that would be enough to stop the fuel vapourising, if that's what is happening?

Fan is on a switch so I’ll try that. We’re swapping the pump purely as a process of elimination. Spoke to the mechanic, Steve bogg. He’s adamant it won’t be hot enough to vapourise the fuel specially seen as the swirl pot is At the inlet side and just doesn’t get that hot. 

Greggs

Hi James,

I have the same set up as you, ZZR1400 ITB, the only difference I think is my swirl pot is at the rear on top of the fuel tank.

I had a faulty Throttle Position Sensor, which lead to all sorts of problems especially at idle and low speeds. As soon as I changed the TPS all was good.

• Like 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

I have GSXR ITB's with a returnless setup and they work perfectly - so wouldn't have thought that was an issue. My swirl pot is in the back though.

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

While I’m not personally keen on swirl pots in the engine bay, would it really make that much difference to the fuel temperature?

Easyish to check I suppose.

James_westy
3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

While I’m not personally keen on swirl pots in the engine bay, would it really make that much difference to the fuel temperature?

Easyish to check I suppose.

This is what I’m thinking although the rear is a much better place. The temps would have to be really high to affect it, but still not impossible 

Kevin Wood

Yep, plenty of production cars are returnless now, so they must be able to cope with reasonably high temperatures given some of the climates into which vehicles are sold.

I doubt the location of the surge pot matters that much as far as temperature is concerned, as it's being constantly replenished with cool fuel from the main tank.

I must admit, my fuel pump died about a year ago and I moved my surge pot from under the bonnet on the intake side to the rear of the car,  just because  of the possible consequences of an underbonnet fire with an extra litre of fuel under there.

If the returnless setup is a red herring, then the best thing would be to get a data log from the ECU and see if you can spot anything amiss when it starts to misbehave.

• Like 1