Wales, Brecon Beacons June 9th to 16th

Kingster

I’ll be on a week's holiday with my brother in Wales from 9th-16th. I’ll be trailering the Westy down and my brother will be on his bmw s1000r.

We’ll be based near Painscastle so looking for routes and tips. 

Also would be a great opportunity to meet up with any of the local members who may be nearby for a run out.  

• Like 1

Chris contact Jeff the joiner. He is an expert on routes in that area. 

We followed him for days taking part in the Y Draig Goch. 

You will enjoy the driving. 

Some great driving round the Elan Valley, and a cracking tea room. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nic (NICO) - Shropshire and Mid-Wales AO said:

Chris contact Jeff the joiner. He is an expert on routes in that area. 

We followed him for days taking part in the Y Draig Goch. 

You will enjoy the driving. 

Some great driving round the Elan Valley, and a cracking tea room. 

Thanks for the kind words Nic.

Hi Chis I will post up some routes tomorrow but as Nic said you have got to do The Elan Valley.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeff the joiner said:

Thanks for the kind words Nic.

Hi Chis I will post up some routes tomorrow but as Nic said you have got to do The Elan Valley.

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff :yes:

2 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Back in my Skoda days we did a couple of days in Wales and our itinerary was https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p1yodkrax6wzl2/Briskoda Welsh Tour 2003.pdf?dl=0

One day I will do it again in the Westy...

Spot on Quinten. Any of those routes particularity memorable?

Elan Valley is a must and the Black mountain pass.The A4120 from the Elan valley to Aberystwyth is a cracker. Also the Mach loop if you have time. Enjoy

33 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Spot on Quinten. Any of those routes particularity memorable?

It was 15 years ago...  I can't even remember my anniversary every year ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ali and Gail said:

Also the Mach loop

Technically that's a low-flying military aircraft route through the valleys but the roads nearby are good too.:p

28 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Technically that's a low-flying military aircraft route through the valleys but the roads nearby are good too.:p

Dam, forgot I'm not in Royal Air Force any more so I have to drive most places now. :d

I was working in Talgarth a few weeks ago. Really nice road from Talgarth A479 through to A40 Abergavenny. I see you're not far from Talgarth, I actually stayed in Glasbury which is even closer to where you are.

15 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

All good info, anyone coming out to play?

I'm off on Friday 15th,so hopefully myself and @CraigHew will sort something out :)

• Like 1

Hi Chris these are some of the routes we've been using over the last ten years. 

From Painscastle go up the A470 to Rhayader, B4518 to Elan Valley up to Devil's Bridge, there a nice cafe at the  Rheidol Railway Station. Then go South  on the B4343 through Tregaron then turn left onto the A482 to Pumsaint, then follow signs for Dolaucothi Gold Mines but keep going up to Llyn Brianne then left through Abergwesyn to Beulah back to Painscastle. You will do all that in one day.

Painscastle to Hay-on-Wye then over the Black Mountain to Llanthony turn right at Stanton to Crickhowll  then the B4558 through Llangynidr to Brecon. you could make a detour to Talybont Reservoir there a nice cafe there. From Brecon head up the B4520 then left onto the B4519 which will take you into the Military Training Ground at Mynydd Eppynt. You could then head to Beulah and go round Llyn Brianne the opposite way round, it is well worth do both ways, but keep left for Cynghordy Viaduct 

These two routes  have some of the best open roads and scenic road that we have used  over the last few years. 

Two photos of Elan Valley

Jeff

Jeff 1402948062_22515YDG081.JPG.8c0d206430e94452637ae73f32ba7f64.JPG

22 5 15 YDG 030.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since when is 10 days enough notice to get out the house ? :o 

Oh ..................and edit......................... 15th is my wedding anniversary.................... thank the lord I didnt say yes then:d. Why I need reminding about the day I lost everything I worked for and to hear the chastity lock slam shut, I have no idea .................:bangshead:

• Haha 3