Help with fitting Half Hood

Nick Marsh

Morning All

Just bought a half hood from SBFS and I need to find someone to fit/drill the necessary rivets/studs as the car doesn't have any and me and a drill is not a good combination.

I am just outside Monmouth so would appreciate any local recommendations (Hereford / Newport / Gloucs / Avon) for upholsterers / re-fitters etc.

Thanks & regards,

Nick 

No one else has answered so I thought that I should. Can’t come to help as miles away. I have a half hood from SBFS and it is brilliant. Much prefer using it in the rain than the full hood. You still feel outside and not couped up in a noisy car. Anyway back to the point. I hadn’t fitted one either but it was easy in the end. Take heart and go for it. One little piece of advice. Take the boot tub out and add little pieces of Ali behind the fittings. It spreads the load and it will last longer. With regards to the poppers have a chat with SBFS. From memory use chalk on the stud on the windscreen frame which will mark where you need the popper. Good luck. PS if you are tall and have a standard (or jap) roll bar you may want to think about roof bars. The half hood is lower than a main roof!

It's a trickier one to answer as most fit their own. However, it might be worth seeing if you can find a local(ish) car/classic car trimmer and see if they will do it for you.

The biggest problem, daft though it sounds, is with it being, for someone used to doing these things, such a quick and simple job, is finding someone who doesn't mind just quickly fitting it for you while you wait, off a small fee. That's why I suggested one of the smaller local type guys.

If you haven't got any car places near by, boat fitters, also do similar jobs with awnings and covers and things on boats, so you might be able to find one of them, that doesn't mind doing it for a bit of a change.

• 5 weeks later...

Rather than having to take the boot insert out and fitting bits of ali to reinforce the fixing points, use peel rivets.These are pop rivets especially designed for composite panels.

When set they peel into 4 curls just like peeling a banana skin and spread the load over a much larger area. I fitted my tonneau cover lift dot fittings with these in 2011 and to date not one has come loose. Very impressed with them. You will not buy them at the local hardware. More a specialty fastener supplier range.

I fitted my fittings to the RAC roll bar. I'm not sure about the little holes weakening the bar so I've just done it anyway! Put some masking tape on the bar, mark out the fixing points and drill - very carefully! The fit of the straps on the bar is so much better than having them fixed (weakly) to the tub and flapping about in the wind. 

Practice drilling into some scrap metal tube first so you 'get' what it feels like. Good luck! 

Hi ,

This was my attempt which I think went pretty well!! Measure, Mark twice,drill once....

20180705_205958.jpg