Recent snap of your Westfield

SXRORY

8 hours ago, Somerset Jim said:

Do you wear a Time Trial cycling helmet and lycra suit for max aerodynamic efficiency? 

No, that his normal lounge attire!

• Haha 1

Love all these pictures, clearly expressing everyone's individual tastes.

Hadn't thought of Lycra, My motorcycle jacket must weigh a couple of Kilos so that's not a bad idea. Not sure about the aero helmet, but I do wear my old open face and sunglasses when driving, to give more of a "Jim Clarke", "Graham Hill" vibe. I think a head fairing may be in order this winter.

The front undertray fits closely around the sump so it can be sandwiched between the chassis and the body sides using the existing bolts. The rear undertray fits to the seat bolts on the chassis and then is cut around the wishbones and fixed to the body mounts on the rear chassis rails. This is because I don't like drilling holes in the chassis, so I use existing fittings.

I have now finished the gold lining and it looks a lot better. My website that details living with a Westie is at www.10-42.com/westfield.

aero_body_right.jpg

body_garage_front.jpg

AerodynamicBody.xlsx

• Like 2

Do Somerset get the first post lockdown, COVID compliant, non-zoom Westie meet award? 

An hour of Westie driving in convoy followed by a pint in a beer garden. Top fun.

Jim and the Somerset locals. 

5.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 9

Great drive out on the Great Orme, Llandudno last night.  Stopped on the top for a walk and took the QR steering wheel off for security. Put it back on and even joked I hope this does not come off on the blast down the Orme. Got to the bottom and thought I had a little play from a ball joint or something else, yanked the steering wheel backwards and it came off in my hands. Turned out it was not fully locked in, makes me shudder to think what might have happened on the tight bends going down the Orme. The learning is to triple check your QR wheel is fully locked in. 🤪

D98781C7-A8AE-4E58-BE16-F8D89D578E67.jpeg

7BE1C81A-7029-4721-AA92-01FF5F2A57D4.jpeg

• Like 9

@Hafod when I went up the Great Orme I took the toll road and struggled to get round the bends near the grave yard, hilarious, don't try it in a Westfield!😃

A lovely place to go though, you are lucky to live near it.

1 hour ago, Julie Hall - Peak District AO said:

@Hafod when I went up the Great Orme I took the toll road and struggled to get round the bends near the grave yard, hilarious, don't try it in a Westfield!😃

A lovely place to go though, you are lucky to live near it.

Yes, widetrack and a quick rack helps. 

• Like 1

Had a cracking run out today

963459FB-2F0F-4CF2-8C2F-B69CF347F994.jpeg

gopro went all “arty” on me with a jaunty angle 😁

19654722-1275-44FA-BE36-3786918A238E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I've had a play with 3M Perfect-It gelcoat polish and a Ryobi buffer (what a piece of sh).  Never polished anything in my life before, but pleased it made a difference.  Should have gone for the Medium compound instead of Fine though...

Before

2021-04-17 10.51.34.jpg

after

2021-04-17 12.12.59.jpg

Think I'll treat myself to a DA polisher next...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

I've had a play with 3M Perfect-It gelcoat polish and a Ryobi buffer (what a piece of sh).  Never polished anything in my life before, but pleased it made a difference.  Should have gone for the Medium compound instead of Fine though...

Before

2021-04-17 10.51.34.jpg

after

2021-04-17 12.12.59.jpg

Think I'll treat myself to a DA polisher next...

That's a really timely post. Was just looking at the 3m products yesterday and wondering which to get. Did the fine one not 'cut' it then?

1 hour ago, thebutler said:

That's a really timely post. Was just looking at the 3m products yesterday and wondering which to get. Did the fine one not 'cut' it then?

It did, and maybe a second application will make it even better, but the Medium may be a better starting point for a first polish.

• Thanks 1

I’ve just bought the 3M heavy and fine Marine GRP cutting compounds, to do the final step of bringing my blue car out of hibernation; mopping the bodywork, and blending in old and new.

Not quite ready to do that stage yet, though may do the scuttle before the windscreen etc go’s back on.

Will report back, once I've had a go with them.

• Like 1

Had a very brief go and so far, very impressed.

The panel section I tried them on has had a hard life, and is badly marked, though not through the gel coat.

Full disclosure, it may not be possible to get perfect as it needs at least 800 grit wet and dry, in some places, and the odd spot of 400 really in others. Which there may just not be enough depth to the gel coat to accommodate.

I very lightly, hand wet and dried a bit of the scuttle, really just for testing, in 800 grit, as the heavy cutting compound does claim to be able to remove 800 grit sanding.

20210418_165728.jpg

I'm using the Marine/Gelcoat versions of the Perfect-It Heavy compound and Light + Wax polish. 

Machine applied. Using (for compounding) a first couple of passes with a woll mop, followed by the matched (green) 3M cutting pad.

The heavy cut was then followed with the light, using a (non 3M) soft polishing pad.

20210418_165723.jpg

Very impressed with them. The heavy cutting compound is very aggressive, as you'd expect, but works really well. (Sorry, think I just stopped being a G3 customer). Will it take out 800 grit sanding marks....

Well, it kind of depends! as ever with these claims, I take them with a pinch of salt, and basically assume you will need to be at least one and sometimes two grades finer than what the manufacturers suggest. 

However,

1. Removing very course sanding marks with a machine cutting process is probably always going to be slower than working through the wet and dry grades.
  2. If you're hand sanding, then unless you're very good/careful, you'll may need to go to 1200 grit, before cutting, to get the best results.
  3. If you're using a DA with the wet and dry, (or just very skilled with it), you know what, I reckon the heavy cut would take it out ok! (First time I've ever found that, personally)

The light cut polish afterwards then really brought the surface up beautifully! I've not put photos of the workpiece up, as they'd be a bit meaningless, given that I literally just grabbed a piece of wet and dry (800) and roughed the surface up, till it looked roughly even - there are still a few spot scratches to attack.

But definitely recommend the range.

Had a drive out to visit my parents and took this for a different perspective.

81549847-F576-4522-A6DD-8046095357FA.jpeg

• Like 9