A bit of woodwork

Deanspoors

I'm looking at a doing a little project, a bookcase made from scaffold boards, very similar to this; 

icm_fullxfull.158340515_j50e65xrq1w0c4kg

I've done a fair bit of joinery work in my house, all self taught from Youtube :) so with my next project in mind I have a couple of questions to the joiners out there,

My first challenge is the depth of the bookcase, the boards are 225mm wide, but I would prefer it to be approx 330mm so I plan on cutting a board in half with my table saw and then somehow butting it up to a full board (will also saw a flat edge onto the full board, for a flush join) What would be the standard practice to join? i.e. biscuit, glue and clamp? 

Second challenge, what options do I have to join board together? i.e. dowels and glue, or drill, screw and plug? 

Third challenge, how has the wood been given that aged look, would I need to sand, oil then sand again? 

Anything else I've missed? 

Thanks! 

Dean

First challenge 

Biscuit joint with pu adhesive glue20180601_144000.thumb.jpg.bbd2ab49170c06e3e3f758fca5d1d0d2.jpg

Second challenge 

You could screw and plug or dowel or even biscuit joint the outsides and pin. and do a stopped trench on inner joints glued and pinned 

Third challenge 

Don't sand to much .blow torch wood dye black ink etc then wax its almost impossible to make a new board look old .20170303_155659.thumb.jpg.b7587bef10e4b16811ba8fa7199be77f.jpg

Tony

For joining the boards my choice would be an epoxy resin glue like West or SP systems thickened with coloidal silica .

No joints to make or worry about , gap filling so no need to be dead accurate , just use light clamping pressure :t-up:

West Systems

S,P,

The glue is the same stuff, its just easier in a tube that you can put in a skeleton gun.

Belt sander should be fine just get some 80 grit belts.

Tony

• Like 2

Buy old used scaffold boards.. also put some nails bolts nuts in a sock, or bit of chain, and hit the wood with it..

• Like 1