Sign in to follow this  
Peter Robinson

New MOT rules any one thought of doing this?

As long as the work undertaken (ie the MOT) is paid for, regardless of pass or fail the garage has no power to seize or retain possession of your vehicle. As I understood it you would be free to remove your vehicle, if you were prevented from doing so then the garage may be committing criminal offences. If you theoretically decided to drive the vehicle away in a dangerous condition then you would commit a traffic offence, but not an issue if you trailer it etc.

There's going to be an element of this occurring, MOT failures became much less common once there was a computerised system for recording the cars history of faults, meaning less in the way of expensive made up nonsense faults, as well as a degree of accountability to ensure garages don't lie about fixing a fault. The new MOT rules once against make it easier for garages to rip off customers.

The same thing happened to a mate last year - they offered a £25 MOT with free collection. Then failed it and said it couldn't be delivered back as it was "unsafe to drive", but they'd fix it for him.

He shelled out £600 to get it back - and only later did I find out and explain there might be a reason why they charged so little for the MOT!

This year he took it to a garage we knew was not a rip-off merchant and despite another fail, he drove it back for me to fix for a few £ and then it passed.

as I understand it , If for any reason you think the MOT station is making false or inacurate claims to take advantage , you can report them to the MOT ombudsman .

If they find the dealer is at fault they can impose massive fines or even revoke there licence . 

You can appeal against the MOT decision with a VT17 form , however the issue is with what the office has said to you and not the test itself . It may well be worth advising DVSA of this as is shameful and hopefully will get more often visits from their Vehicle Inspector and look into their practices . Of course as noted they cannot seize the vehicle .

You did the correct thing by not driving it as the car has a dangerous marker against it and as I understand it a £2500 max fine for driving it although the last time I heard of that happening was when someone was killed by a car with a dangerous marker on it .

I carry out 2500 ish tests per year , with the new regs the failure item actually selects that it is dangerous and should not be driven as a tester you cannot alter this . Some items on the new test layout are much better , although some are worse .

Unfortunately there will always be the odd minority of garages that abuse the system for their own benefit .

Going back to the OP..what I don't understand is if the car was serviced first,which I guess is the reason for doing at same time, why wasn't the break issue picked up and rectified before the mot??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mole said:

Going back to the OP..what I don't understand is if the car was serviced first,which I guess is the reason for doing at same time, why wasn't the break issue picked up and rectified before the mot??

I've noticed over many years and different garage's that it's fairly standard practise to MOT first then service.  It could be that the most experienced staff are doing the MOTs so it picks up problems early giving time to get the parts in and fix them the same day or perhaps it generates a set of 'statistics' that support the need for annual MOTs of greater scope in order to keep poorly maintained cars off the road...…..