Breakdown cover? AA alternatives?

Wobblyprop

On 01/06/2018 at 11:04, DonPeffers said:

I think it's Green flag.

see  https://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cover/policy-pdfs/breakdown-policy-summary.pdf  page 23 In the event of a breakdown.

My RAC breakdown is due for renewal and has madly gone up 23.9% and that's with no callouts in last 12 months so looked around.

Had chat on Greenflag website and they say no monies to pay at roadside. Seems I misunderstood p23 of their terms (as above)

Greenflag terms "We’ll only pay for repair or recovery costs that you’ve agreed with us up front, so don’t pay for anything till you’ve spoken to us. Keep all receipts and invoices, too. You’ll need to send them to us, along with our claim form, to settle a claim."

Just to clarify.

ive had greenflag for a few years and used there services numerous times and have never paid anything. other than my yearly premium. i have ther top cover all but european driving though. they have recovered my westfield twice back to my house with no quibbles. me and my wife are both covered for any vehicle we are in and all the other stuff that comes with it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I chose Autoaid in the end due to recommendations here.  My son needed them today; they came quite quickly for a weekend and were fantastic, bringing the car home and pushing it up the drive for us (broken release bearing suspected).  Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 3

I use the service that comes free with my bank account. Not sure who but it's got me out of bother when needed and costs nothing apart from the bank fee which incudes travel and phone insurance, etc.

With my RAC renewal coming in at over £100 and with little price flexibility when I telephoned them (and taking into account that somehow I overlooked last years 16% auto renewal increase) I decided it was time to move on and like Wobblyprop I've joined Autoaid and will see how it goes.

Reassuring to read good feedback from Wobbly.

Just to through another one in the mix....

Ive been with kwik fit for breakdown cover only for the last five or so years and last year they asked me if I wanted to cover a second car on the same policy for next to nothing extra.

After checking the westie would be covered ok, I added it on and was recovered back home after breaking down on the way back from the 21st shelsey event (150 odd mile so) at no cost or hassle.

Mart.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody used Autoaid more than once for recovery in a policy period????

Just arranged recovery:zzz:and one of the things the phone operator reeled off in a speech was 'if you break down again and require recovery you could be charged' :oops:

3 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Has anybody used Autoaid more than once for recovery in a policy period????

Just arranged recovery:zzz:and one of the things the phone operator reeled off in a speech was 'if you break down again and require recovery you could be charged' :oops:

Yes. A couple of years ago. I was not charged.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Yes. A couple of years ago. I was not charged.

Ok tidy :t-up:

18 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Can recommend Autoaid after using them today :)

Was that in the mac#1 ?

2 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Was that in the mac#1 ?

Yeah:down:

Testing times ,been in bits more over the last month than it has complete. 

Then today the turbo destroys itself:rolleyes:

• Sad 1

I was a member of the RAC for a few years and found them to be great. 

I have since joined Grinder on the internet and now whenever I break down in a lay-by there are a few helpful chaps turn up within 15 minutes. 

Very efficient. 

• Haha 4

...and after breaking down a few times, you sold up and bought an MX5?

• Haha 1