So............. whats next ?

Thrustyjust

The Westfield is now done . I am contemplating a new direction/ project and want to make a sensible decision on what to do next, before I put the car up for sale.  Do I go for a classic car  ? Want more than 4 cylinders ? Kit car build ? ( not a Westfield) .  I need , I think a more complex project than the Westfield was as more of a challenge. 

I went to Stoneleigh to look around and point at something and say, thats it, which nothing took my fancy.

Wife has a liking for Triumph TR4's . I quite like the Lotus Elan + 2 's .  I did nearly buy one of them + 2's with a broken chassis, but I wondered at the time about storing stuff while it was stripped for the replacement chassis.

Kits are great, with the main components being new , which a mate who is rebuilding a G60 golf can testify with all his bits in dip baths to clean off the rust , when he came over and helped one evening with my build.

So...................any ideas on what to do ? Not sure I could stretch financially to an Ultima , as also the wife doesnt like them.

steve_says_autocar.jpg.03e366e611ec389eaa779928f2919a33.jpg

Something with a v8 for me. 

I'd love an older classic with a modern drivetrain but I really lose interest fighting rust.

Something american maybe an old mustang from a dry state?

911 with an Ls engine swap.

Datsun 240z.

GD looks an idea Steve. When looking at all these body swop cars at Stoneleigh , I was surprised people were really getting away with it from a safety perspective, so a new chassis and car body is a good thing. Cost f build is probably on par with an Ultima though, which may push the financial controller.

Mustangs.......... a customer of mine has just rebuilt one and he is so fussy , he would pick holes in mine and plus it wont fit in the garage ! 

240 Z's . Seen a few projects , but think the rust thing seemed shocking on all of them.

Fuel for thought anyway.  

I would go for a Cobra, I know it is a kit but there are loads of options, running gear and engine wise.  It would be my ultimate car sadly I have left it too late now I am retired I can't afford one

The most interesting car I saw at Stoneleigh this year was a Ronart, could combine two options as a classic-inspired kit...

It was a V8 but can also be done with a V12.

vfJ5Z9I.jpg

I fancy doing a classic car restoration one day (likely to be as a retirement project).  Wouldn't need to be anything fast or exotic (in fact I'd probably want to go for something where parts are reasonably easy to get hold of) - it would be for the challenge of doing it.  Possibilities might include an early(ish) land rover or even a morris minor (I had one as a teenager so some sentimental reasons).  I enjoyed building a kit with new parts, but taking something apart, renewing and restoring parts, and rebuilding would be a whole different challenge.  I'd like to rebuild the engine too...

When my discovery has finished its useful life I'm very tempted by a tomcat build...

The recent sale of a few cars has made you consider this - my fault I guess!

I always liked the Lotus Europa and when I worked for GKN, the Transmissions division built a one-off slightly longer chassis version with a Rover V8 engine. It was eventually sold to a buyer in USA and has subsequently disappeared, sadly. GKN47D was the registration number. I would have loved that car...

405a13bd145f2b187d2d0491f5acf5bec95c0c57

9 hours ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Not really Gary, but the carbon bits had your name written all over them , according to the wife :d

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I always liked the Lotus Europa and when I worked for GKN, the Transmissions division built a one-off slightly longer chassis version with a Rover V8 engine. It was eventually sold to a buyer in USA and has subsequently disappeared, sadly. GKN47D was the registration number. I would have loved that car...

405a13bd145f2b187d2d0491f5acf5bec95c0c57

Number plate is on a Landie now , but not on the road. They are great cars but a bit small for my muscular frame . 

9 hours ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Or mine....

Build an SDV then you get a restoration and a Wessie all in one go.

Anyway whats wrong with rust? We all live in the UK so its bread and butter over here in fact its one of my five a day.:)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peter (Monty) said:

The most interesting car I saw at Stoneleigh this year was a Ronart, could combine two options as a classic-inspired kit...

It was a V8 but can also be done with a V12.

vfJ5Z9I.jpg

Definitely wont be one of those Pete. Something Dick Dastardly would drive . Sorry mate ! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Or mine....

Build an SDV then you get a restoration and a Wessie all in one go.

Anyway whats wrong with rust? We all live in the UK so its bread and butter over here in fact its one of my five a day.:)

Dont want a Westie. Wife would not be happy to face the factory again.

As for MX5's . Great cars without doubt , but do suffer with tin worm yes. I thought you based the colour scheme of your car on Gulf colours , not the sills on a british made car . 

Really not found it yet. Looking at GD cars and thats a 50k touch plus.............. hmmmmmm........

Just now, Thrustyjust said:

Definitely wont be one of those Pete. Something Dick Dastardly would drive . Sorry mate ! 

It's been bugging me what that photo reminded me of. You just nailed it! :laugh:

On the kit car front, personal non-Westfield favourites are the T70, all versions! Cobras, particularly with the optional fast back hardtop from, was it the ale Mans, or Daytona cars? I forget.

I also quite like the old Porsche replicas, boththe 356's and the 550(?) - the type Cleggy has locked away!

At the other end of the cost scale, I have always had a hankering for the Fisher Furry type cars as well. (There have been several quite similar models over the years).

otherwise, I must admit, I've always had a hankering to do a classic. But I wouldn't even contemplate it without somewhere undercover to work, which is something of a catch, for me! But I particularly like the old Triumphs, TR3/4/5/6, etc.

I must admit, I don't think I'd necessarily be brave enough to tackle a classic that didn't have the sort of (reproduction) parts availability that things like MG's, Triumphs etc have.

As much as I like the old US muscle cars, again, parts availability for many is staggering, the costs now even for restoration case seem to be extreme.

And lastly, I don't care how bad they may really be, and friends that have tried reckon they are evil to try and restore, but ever since watching The Spy Who Loved me at the pictures as a kid, I've always had a hankering for an earlyish Esprit! :down: :d