Rivets - size and qty

tc3nitro

I am going to paint my Ali panels with black dinitrol 445 when my kit arrives and I’d like to compliment these with black rivets.

can anyone tell me how many I need for the panels and the size ?

thanks in advance

Mark

Panel rivets are 4mm, they are usually included in the kit, by the bag full. Or have you opted to source your own? Not sure how many you'll need. Felt quite a number when I built mine, must run into into several hundred I would guess!

Sorry not really very helpful.

You ideally want sealed rivets and when I was looking I was struggling to find black sealed rivets 

You usually get given a box of five hundred, and one box can be touch and go whether it’s enough.

4 x 12 not black but worth considering. Get a hand full of 4.1mm drills while your at it, you'll need em.

Compressor and pneumatic rivet gun, don't get a hand riveter, you'll end up with muscles like a Russian shot putter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-0mm-x-Choose-Length-Sealed-Closed-End-Dome-Head-Alum-Steel-Blind-Pop-Rivets/310432564286?epid=18012852562&hash=item484739043e:m:mW-tYm_0RpQFRlF6XHK-rig

32 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

Compressor and pneumatic rivet gun, don't get a hand riveter, you'll end up with muscles like a Russian shot putter.

More likely you'll end up with cartilage like a packet of biscuits that's been put through a clothes mangle

Thanks for the replies !

I already have the air riveter and loads of 4.1mm drill bits, I just want to swap out all the silver rivets for black ones.

So about 500 4x12 then.

Actually I could get 4x10mm with a std flange or large flange.

Will 4x10mm be ok and would the large flange be better ?

Don’t bother, just paint them b4 using and then touch up which is what I did to get the same effect. I would suspect boxed black rivets will still need a touch up as the rivet head is slightly scuffed as it’s used

I bought 1000 rivets from Rivco painted to my Ral colour. The finish on them is excellent no paint came of the heads when used. I had about 150 left after my build which are good to keep for future use.

18 hours ago, Terryathome said:

don't get a hand riveter, you'll end up with muscles like a Russian shot putter.

What kind of jobs have you Nancy!s been doing, get on with it and work like a man:p

• Like 2

Have wondered this myself Paul.

I did my first car, with the exception of the bigger floor panels with a hand riveter. Would have done the floor too, but I broke the riveter, and the one I borrowed to finish off was powered.