How to get rid of birds ?

Thrustyjust

I was truly gutted last week,hit a Red Kite in the train :(

Killing Buzzards is a weekly thing,due to the amount of pigeons and pheasants we kill in trains,the railway track is like a eat all you can diner to a Buzzard! 

I sound the horn at them but they are so slow getting up off the floor they are all to often a foxes supper :(

I have the same problem with birds, they're living under the tiles and in the eaves, and the neighbours either side of me have the same issue. I've called several roofers to ask them to come and have a look at blocking up the holes, but after two haven't turned up already I'm starting to think they've got too much money if they can just not bother to turn up to a quote. A worry for me now is that because they've found a home for summer they may be protected against removing them. 

My neighbour has a large fake owl on his tv aerial on his roof and the birds now stand on top of its head. 

Desperation has made me look at these fake birds and cats, but don't want my house to look like Farthing Wood. 

8 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Blatters, it's a very, very infrequent event that anything is given to kites by us. Only when a bit of raw skin comes to hand or the occasional glisglis that has 'accidentally' strayed into the (quite beefy electronic) mouse trap in the shed. My daughter frowns at the thought of those who buy food specifically for the birds and her frowns are to be avoided! I must say I hadn't heard mention of the 'roughage' aspect of the diet though. A fat glisglis might make up for that I suppose, but the cat's prey of voles and shrews will barely count.

Yeah I phrased my earlier post rather badly... What I meant to say was "by all means feed them occasionally and here's a website with some guidance" :) 

1 minute ago, Blatman said:

Yeah I phrased my earlier post rather badly... What I meant to say was "by all means feed them occasionally and here's a website with some guidance" :) 

That site was the one I was referring to yesterday and we took guidance from it when we moved here five years ago. Where we were previously we rarely got them other than passing overhead, but they sit in trees here and yell at us! There's a nest in the neighbour opposite's back garden in a large oak so there's a few around. The heron has been a pain as far as the pond is concerned, but a network of wires forming small cells that it can wade in but not move about sufficiently to stab the fish seems to have deterred it. Mind you, a surfeit of water lilies seems to be effective too. 

Blatters, you appear to have more than a passing interest in raptors, do you go falconing, if that's the term?

rjgkpmY.jpg

14 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Blatters, you appear to have more than a passing interest in raptors, do you go falconing, if that's the term?

Not as often as I would like. I've been to several falconry "experience" days and was lucky enough in the past to be given free access to lots of the birds at a zoo, which presents ethical issues for me but the chance to inter-act with the birds meant I kept my opinions to myself :oops: 

Falconry is the "hobby", hawking is the practice of hunting with hawks/falcons etc. and I have done that a few times  Harris Hawks are the staple of a lot of pest control companies who use them to scare away other fowl as well as deal with vermin on farmland. Often they will send a ferret into a rabbit run to flush them out and the hawks do the rest.

Harris Hawks are known to be the easiest bird to live with but whatever the bird they are essentially dinosaurs, sitting around waiting for the next meal. There's not much else going on. I was told that whilst they can be stroked and petted they derive no pleasure from it, it's just a thing that happens to them. But if they decide they don't like it then look out. I have seen them strike when they get grumpy and they rarely miss :oops:  

Ah, I thought I could sense more than your usual thirst for (general) knowledge! Access to birds in a zoo, eh? Hmmm... ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2018 at 17:24, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Ah, I thought I could sense more than your usual thirst for (general) knowledge! Access to birds in a zoo, eh? Hmmm... ???

At my age if they aren't captive I stand little chance :oops: 

• Haha 1

HA! I have to kick their Zimmer frames away to stop them escaping! 

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:31, terry everall said:

Wood pigeons are my pet hate

.177 or .22 ?

Personally I love wood pigeon, preferably sliced then fried in butter. 

If you take the meat out of the frying pan and add buttered bread you can have one of my favourite breakfasts, pigeon and fried bread.

YesI have had wood pigeon as a starter at a posh restaurant and it tastes like "chicken"!

1 hour ago, terry everall said:

YesI have had wood pigeon as a starter at a posh restaurant and it tastes like "chicken"!

Bit like frogs' legs and guinea fowl then...