Stu Faulkner

Mazda SDV, Build Number 3

I was under the impression that the fw rear end was not available for the Mazda sdv? Clearly I was misinformed. Or confused. Great progress btw. 

• Like 1

You can order it but you have to sort your own fuel tank out due to the Mazda diff being where the fw tank lives.

Looking good stu:yes:

• Like 1

It isn’t normally used, Stu has gone out and had his own fuel tank made to fit - note the card board mock up earliver in the build thread.

Essentially, the normal FW tank and mounting frame aren’t comparable with the version of Mazda rear differential that the SDV uses. Only the ZK tank is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RichK said:

I was under the impression that the fw rear end was not available for the Mazda sdv? Clearly I was misinformed. Or confused. Great progress btw. 

The answers above are correct. :)

Anything is possible, it is a kit car after all it’s just weather you are prepared to have things custom made or just use off the shelf items. 

• Like 2

Hmm. Interesting. I never actually thought to enquire why, I just assumed it was a chassis difference.

44 minutes ago, RichK said:

Hmm. Interesting. I never actually thought to enquire why, I just assumed it was a chassis difference.

The chassis is a standard Westfield item with the MT 75 tunnel with a different dash hoop, clearance for the Mazda MK1-2 diff ( but you can fit a Sierra one if you wish) and a few Mazda specific brackets. 

Apart from the MX5 running gear I’m using  WF electrics, interior, and everything else for that matter so it’s not really a true SDV but it’s a Wessie so you can do pretty much fit anything from any other Wessie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very slow progress at the moment and when I do get an hour its to do jobs that need dry fitting about ten times to get a good fit.

Broke new ground today with wiper motors.

IMG_5218.thumb.JPG.354e07ff3da2f99091702b4d5b63a605.JPG

All i can say is my god is the scuttle heavy..... The screen is not only a aerodynamic brick but it weighs one as well.

Fillet dry fitted to see if the bosses line up. Just need to silicone the base of the screen. Like that's the only place water will get in.:oops:. But If I don't all the screen wash will not only go over the top of the screen but under it as well.

I wanted to lease the scuttle off until I fired the engine but as I have a heater I need to fill it with coolant first. I'm sure I'll sort it.

IMG_5219.JPG

• Like 5

Lots of little jobs done but nothing to shout about like plumbing in the fuel tank, plumbing in the engine and tidying the wiring (again)

One thing that I have done this time is drilled big holes in the FW rear. My last one only had 3000 miles on when I swapped the diff and even though I had drilled 6mm holes they were nearly full of stones and dust so this time.....

IMG_5220.thumb.JPG.dec68007357c4d6cf96175b40f85466a.JPG

They will still fill with crud as they are behind the back wheels but you have to save weight wherever you can. (stones are heavy)

• Like 1

At last, some progress.

Finally got round to piping in the heater and more luck that judgement the pipework is simple.

IMG_5221.thumb.JPG.995858991f6d28e3afefb5e243a8745c.JPG

I'm trying to focus on starting the engine at some point so most of the jobs are now around the scuttle area so a bit more panelling.

IMG_5222.thumb.JPG.c927e84498ce6dba42360724f7ebf573.JPG

Iv'e cut my own panel that doesn't go around the gear lever (which keeps going rusty:bangshead:) and cut 38mm grommets for future wiring rather than 44mm which are not the easiest things to get hold of. Trial fit of the dash, Old school.

IMG_5224.thumb.JPG.c1d190c31297e70777f642671a799411.JPG

Everything has a mist of white dust over it as I have been fettling the exhaust. Because the primaries are so long I have had to undo the engine mounts and shift the engine over to get it in and the exit hole has to be made a lot bigger to get it in at an angle so maybe an ally trim piece is in order.

IMG_5223.thumb.JPG.07507dc2775beb3012fb5c1f2af0ff54.JPG

Shiny though.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stu Faulkner said:

At last, some progress.

Finally got round to piping in the heater and more luck that judgement the pipework is simple.

IMG_5221.thumb.JPG.995858991f6d28e3afefb5e243a8745c.JPG

I'm trying to focus on starting the engine at some point so most of the jobs are now around the scuttle area so a bit more panelling.

IMG_5222.thumb.JPG.c927e84498ce6dba42360724f7ebf573.JPG

Iv'e cut my own panel that doesn't go around the gear lever (which keeps going rusty:bangshead:) and cut 38mm grommets for future wiring rather than 44mm which are not the easiest things to get hold of. Trial fit of the dash, Old school.

IMG_5224.thumb.JPG.c1d190c31297e70777f642671a799411.JPG

Everything has a mist of white dust over it as I have been fettling the exhaust. Because the primaries are so long I have had to undo the engine mounts and shift the engine over to get it in and the exit hole has to be made a lot bigger to get it in at an angle so maybe an ally trim piece is in order.

IMG_5223.thumb.JPG.07507dc2775beb3012fb5c1f2af0ff54.JPG

Shiny though.

love the very shiny manifold. Is that custom made or an off the shelf item?

12 minutes ago, RichK said:

love the very shiny manifold. Is that custom made or an off the shelf item?

It’s actually the Factory one, you have to ask for it as it’s not in the catalogue  

It doesn’t appear too bad around the welds and could do with a polish. :)

Ahh, the secret 'need to know' catalogue. Makes creating a budget in advance more of a challenge...

I didn’t know they made one. :)

it came up in conversation with WF and ordered one as it was the easier option at the time. 

59 minutes ago, Stu Faulkner said:

I didn’t know they made one. :)

it came up in conversation with WF and ordered one as it was the easier option at the time. 

You need this thread Stu, there's a couple of dyno plots that also give an idea as to how much better the manifold is compared to the standard link pipe.

• Thanks 2