Gearbox popped on Day 1 of new purchase

Jonathan.edwards

Hi, I'm a new member.

Just picked up a 1990 Westfield SeiW, with a QED race spec C20XE, mated to a Type 9 5 speed, with strait cut gears.

Anyway drove it about 90miles and lost gears 1-4, but kept 5th. Managed to limp it home, but it appears the Roll pin in the gear selector block has sheared or fallen out. I can't get access to change the pin in situ, nor do I want bits of roll pin kicking around inside the box. So I'm pulling the box out.

My question being, Is it even possible to get the box out without taking the engine with it? (my chassis has the removal able gearbox cross member)

No, because unless all the cross members are removable you need to get the prop out. You also need to pull the engine and box to separate them. I would guess that an engine out job, but thats not a huge job on our cars as long as you have a crane and a mate. Shame about the box. Somethings happen like that sadly. 

It appears all the lower cross members are not the problem, Its the clearance to get the prop out, I've moved the diff backwards but its now up against the fuel pump, and the engine can come forward a bit. Just wondered if anyone has ever done it?

I had this. 

If you can take the scuttle and tunnel top off, you can replace the roll pin by taking off the gearbox top cover. 

The remains of the old roll pin were relatively easy to fish out. 

Scuttle? Do you mean the piece of flat below the windscreen? it's riveted on in my case

Might pay to remove box , inspect and rebuild. They are fairly strong normally.

Pin falling out is not unknown.

I can't remove the scuttle on mine, its rivetted and bonded to the chassis. 

So, I've cut a 6'x6' inspection hatch on the plate infront of the scuttle, directly over the inspection hatch of the gearbox. 
The pin has fallen out, not sheared. Just need to get a magnet in there to find the pin and suck out the oil. 

This should be do-able! 

The part generally referred to as the scuttle is the glass fibre piece of bodywork theat holds the dashboard, has the windscreen, or aeroscreen, fixed to it and buts up to the bonnet. With that out of the way, the cover panels on the transmission tunnel, nearest the engine should be removable. (If built to the manual, they’re fitted dry, and secured with self tapping screws.

Great news that you’ve found the problem!

The challenge is now finding the sheared pin, and putting the new one in! 

F00F741E-834A-468E-ACBB-23F4C90189B2.jpeg

9316777B-D3C0-44CA-874E-4723D4A23909.jpeg

47625FDB-FFC6-4340-A81B-42581CFD2BDB.jpeg

I'd get a magnet on an aerial , as they are small and fish around. Also can be done leaning over the top and keep Steve happy about axle stands on shingle ground :d

1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

And the Jack on the tree stump.!!

For a scotsman, you are fussy . Stump probably has roots 20 ft down for stability :d