Sprint Tyres

Smudge62

interesting so could be a genuine alternative to ZZR?

No too worried about this year as I am just going out for a play so happy to use my old ZZRs but would be good to have a 1B alternative so we can enter in road going classes again

Cheers

@RussH is running them in 15", I didn't get to experience them unfortunately but he seems to like them. Can't say how quick they are though as he won't sprint yet (too scared)

39 minutes ago, IanD said:

interesting so could be a genuine alternative to ZZR?

No too worried about this year as I am just going out for a play so happy to use my old ZZRs but would be good to have a 1B alternative so we can enter in road going classes again

Cheers

No they are not, but they are now by far the best 1b tyre available.

By the way... I was wrong, I´m not going to test them, and not even going to be in blyton. I managed the dates very very wrongly and I booked holidays in spain.

So... there is no competition for me this year. Im really f***** of how idiot I can be.

I gess then... I have an unfitted set of A1R for sale.

gutted.

2 hours ago, BCF said:

@RussH is running them in 15", I didn't get to experience them unfortunately but he seems to like them. Can't say how quick they are though as he won't sprint yet (too scared)

True.

14 hours ago, syman84 said:

That's good info @BCF I brought AR1's for this season and couldn't quite get them switched on at blyton a couple of weeks ago and went the other way trying to reduce pressure. I will catch up with you at Silverstone for a conversation about them.

May see if I can add a little more before the weekend then.

Alter nothing. 17-18 psi all round.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

Alter nothing. 17-18 psi all round.

Based on what John?

1 minute ago, BCF said:

Based on what John?

Weight of car, known geometry / behaviour of a live axle car and experience of knowing what works and doesn't in a sprint car

5 minutes ago, John said:

Weight of car, known geometry / behaviour of a live axle car and experience of knowing what works and doesn't in a sprint car

I don't even run the toyos that low... the behavior of the car ant the lack of wall stiffness along with too low pressure, isolates you from all the feedback and reactions aren't predictables at all...

How long since you have used a s***ty tyres John?

3 minutes ago, maurici said:

I don't even run the toyos that low... the behavior of the car ant the lack of wall stiffness along with too low pressure, isolates you from all the feedback and reactions aren't predictables at all...

How long since you have used a s***ty tyres John?

I think that's more to do with how p******** the night before you were :p. Only been on slicks 1 and a bit seasons so approx. 16 years on 's***ty' tyres

9 minutes ago, John said:

Fair enough, I thought maybe you had tested them and come up with that as the best solution. 

Really appreciate the benefit of your experience John, just for me at this stage I'm more inclined to listen to the guy that helped Nangang develop the tyre and has actual direct experience of using them (he also works with Toyo and confirmed similar for the new R888R).  He was very amused when I reflected our sprint bias towards low pressures and asked if we had put the same level of testing into them - clearly I haven't, so have to bow to his greater knowledge and actual experience. His advice is run them at 32psi hot, up to all you lovely readers out there as to what you do. 

I bought some for the Mazda and will play around with the pressures, starting with his advice and then changing as I feel necessary. Will report back.

2 minutes ago, John said:

I think that's more to do with how p******** the night before you were :p. Only been on slicks 1 and a bit seasons so approx. 16 years on 's***ty' tyres

A24 ZZr doesn't count as s***ty tyre. and There is not BBQ before every event...:cool:

I think Barny can tell you about the same in the Khumos he was using...

Quick editorial for all those using forum based chat as their basis for car set up - 32psi hot is for the stripped out mx5, 28-30psi hot is where it needs to be for a Westfield. Apparently. Based on someone else's advice. Make up your own minds!

Well for what its worth in a lightweight Westfield whether on slicks or 1B radial tyres I would use 17 to 18 psi  every time

• Like 1

This seems to be a bit of a minefield!  I can understand talking about a few PSI each way and the effect of temperature, but a range of 17 to 30 PSI for a light car like the Westfield doesn't make sense to me.  I suppose the proof would be to do a few laps at the same track in the same conditions at the two extremes - 17 PSI and then 30 PSI and compare the times and get the driver feedback?

It would need to be a consistent, experienced driver - any takers?

Tony

This is a few years old now, but I think I'd go along with the recommendations. Bearing in mind he was at  Lotus on track day, and probably working with Elise and Exige type cars.. I can see 22psi hot working on an Elise, so it's not hard to believe sub 20psi will work on a Westy. 

32psi is bang on where you'd expect an MX5 to be.. my son raced his Honda CRX.. (similar weight?) using 30 to 32psi on Toyo 888.

My name is Alan Meaker, I am the Motorsport Manager for Toyo Tyres (UK) Ltd.

I was at Rockingham on the Saturday 1st March at the LOT trackday and worked with a couple of cars using our R888 tyre regarding pressures and tread temperatures.

What I would like to do is to offer some advice on tyre temperatures and pressures and how to achieve the best from our tyres when taking part in either trackdays or racing.

The R888 has a semi race construction (very stiff) and a race tread compound. The optimum tread temperature range is between 85C and 95C measured using a probe type pyrometer, and ideally a maximum difference across the tread of 9C. The maximum hot pressure we recommend is 40psi. Camber angles up to 5 degrees are permissible but the final setting will depend on tread temperatures. It is advisable to have as much positive castor as practical as castor induces a beneficial camber change during cornering. I recommend that the tyres be put through 2 heat cycles before hard use.

The pressures you use will initially depend on the weight of the car, too little pressure on a heavy car can lead to over deflection of the tyre and subsequent failure.

Below are some basic settings:

VEHICLE WEIGHT COLD PRESSURE HOT PRESSURE
Very Light < 800kg 17 - 22 psi 22 - 29 psi
Light 800kg - 1000kg 20 - 26 psi 24 - 32 psi
Heavy 1000kg - 1400kg 23 - 27 psi 28 - 40 psi
Very Heavy > 1400kg 27 - 35 psi 37 - 40 psi