Padding on roll cage

Tony Smiley

I'm struggling to interpret the blue book regarding protective padding on the roll cage. 

K 1.3.6 states it should be provided and refers to K 1.6.6, which says "It is recommended that ......"

I don't have any padding at present (just fitted a new Caged cage), and while I can see the value of it, will I pass scruitineering without it this weekend at Blyton?  Or, do I need to rush down to the nearest B&Q for some pipe insulation? Or, worst still, try and get some FIA approved stuff?

Tony

No padding on mine....

None on mine

Thanks John - that will do for me!

You will be ok for scrutineering but it's handy to have to stop you damaging  your crash helmet getting in and out of the car. 

Do not use pipe lagging. FIA stuff only. You only have one noggin. 

You can buy FIA spec. dense foam in half round sections from Caterham, in 1 metre long sections, if you want them. They are self adhesive, so stick quite happily to the powder coating. Not cheap mind, so I only stuck pieces on in the places which were closest to my helmet when sat in the car. I guess you can get the same product from the other "usual suspects" as well, but I never looked any further.