Laid up build car insurane

Chris Brading

Hi, Club Member,

What insurance company do you deal with that knows Westfields? I just realised the insurance I had last year was probably worthless as the car need its roof on to have insurance and it has no roof nor never will have.

A Plan (also known as Cherished Vehicle Insurance) are popular. They are also a sponsor of the Club/Speed Series.

Personally, I insure all my/my wife's cars with them, and my house and contents. I'm very happy with their service, and the quotes which they get for me.

I agree with stephenh. My Westfield is SORNed and I insured it under laid-up cover (garage stored only) for a year until A Plan offered me a limited mileage policy for far less money. That means I can still drive it to and from an MoT test should I want to. 

A Plan for the Westfield, but sadly they are miles away from being competitive for my other insurances.

In theory, Russ, that is surprising, because they are not an insurance company, they are a broker. In other words they look for the best quote on the open market for the specific risk in question. However, there are 2 caveats to the theory. In practice, there are a couple of reasons why they may not be competitive in every situation. First there are certain insurance companies which will only deal direct with the public and are therefor not available through a broker. These are the online or telephone only policies. Secondly, insurance, particularly motor insurance, is a silly market, in that so many insurers are prepared to "buy" your business by offering huge discounts to there normal premium for new business. They do this in the hope that you will renew with them when the first year expires, which is in my opinion daft business because the very people who have the time and inclination to shop around on the internet for the best quote every year, are the very people who are much less likely to renew with the same insurer year after year. So if you have the time and inclination to shop around every year, you stand every chance of getting 30% or more discount from the "normal" premiums.

Thanks for your help, A plan £139 pounds limited mileage they do know what they are insuring which is good.

A plan insured my westfield including parts on a lay up policy for  £72 and i can  pay the difference to on the road policy if i get it completed and ready to roll before the year is out. So I insured my tin top too, that was slightly cheaper elsewhere but their service is so good i was happy to pay