Dean Goodall

Deano's Classic SE Build

Dean Goodall

Ok, so having visited Westfield Sports Cars at Stoneleigh this year, I took advantage of their show offer and ordered my Westy.  With an estimated collection date of 18th to 20th July, I have a little over 9 weeks of child like impatience to battle.

Factory tour and test drive on 29th May.

Double garage prepped, tools bought and arranged.  Only 2 things remaining, an engine hoist and leveller.

Any suggestions/tips regarding preparation most welcome.

Options:

Navy Blue,  silver wheels, 8" rear upgrade,  205's,  spare wheel & carrier, performance brake calipers, hood & side screens

Heater kit,  Chrome Pack,  Wide track wishbones,  Sports Turbo seats with 4 points,  Contoured dash,  Locking Boot Lid

• Like 1

Stu Faulkner

:ww:

You have come to the right place.

there is loads of advice about building but one to think of is don't have the bodywork until you need it.

Its fairly flexible for a few weeks and then gets harder to fit. Also if it distorts whilst you are storing it then it gets really hard to fit.

Good luck, take your time, take lots of photos and enjoy.   We like photos.

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

:ww: you’ve done the right thing starting a build thread as folk on here can spot things and advise on sorting any problems, put loads of pictures on as we do like them and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words....

whilst your waiting read as many of the build threads to give you an idea of build steps 

look forward to following your build

BugMan

Agree with above.  

We love photos, more the better.

I’d highly recommend getting to a local mtg, you will get to meet up with a great bunch of like minded people in my experience 

if poss take the kit in stages otherwise you will have to store the kit for a long time, in which it can distort and the you will need the space believe me I struggle even in a double guarage.

One of the best tools I invested in was an air rivet gun, called Mr Rivet in my world, well worth the investment if you can stretch to a compressor. Lidl are a good low cost option I have found for all sorts of tools.

BugMan

Also don’t put to much faith in the Westfield FW build manual, your better off following some of the builds on here IMHO.

If not sure, walk away have a brew and leave it for a bit, and if still not sur ask on here.

Welcom to the club, best move I ever made 

• Like 1

Rich201060

Hi,

I bought a hoist off ebay , and load leveller from https://www.sgs-engineering.com depending on your budget there stuff is half decent for the price.

Good luck,

Rich

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I would always put a shout out on here when you’re getting towards the engine crane point. Depending where you are in the country, there’s often someone handy that can loan you one.

Kevin (Mr T)

:ww:from Essex and good luck with the build!

tc3nitro

:ww: from Yorkshire !

I too am awaiting my kit collection (16th June) good luck and I have found reading all the similar build threads to help me make notes in the manual.

Dean Goodall
On 15/05/2018 at 07:21, tc3nitro said:

:ww: from Yorkshire !

I too am awaiting my kit collection (16th June) good luck and I have found reading all the similar build threads to help me make notes in the manual.

I will keep a close eye on your build, you will be a month ahead of me! hope it goes well.  What are your plans for bodywork storage? I have seen examples where the tub has been hung from the garage roof.  seems like a good idea. anyone@WSCC ever tried this?

Dean Goodall

5afdf561cb00b_GPTempDownload6.thumb.JPG.038db25832825df6f3ebfd94cd3439fb.JPG5afdf594dce59_GPTempDownload2.thumb.JPG.544f3629bb6658ac4a5dab098da4775d.JPG

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

Nice tidy workshop. If you have time, paint the walls as it reflects the light on dark evenings and keeps dust down :t-up:

tc3nitro

As for the storage of bodywork, I arranged with Simon not to have my bodywork until I required it, this also gives me and extra few months to decide what colour I really want !

• Like 1

BugMan

Deff don't take the bodywork which is what I did as TBH it will likely just get in the way and risk of damage.  Also when the fiberglass is fresh it's easier to manipulate if you have to and as tc3nitro says you can ponder the colour selection.

Would also highly agree with painting the walls white, and paint the floor if you have not already done it.  White emulsion soaked into the walls will help both with light a dust, as would painting the floor.  I found it a lot easier to find dropped screws on a grey or carpeted floor.

Light is going to be the other thing I would have a look at if you can now while you have the space.  I have old fluorescent tube lights which I have replaced most of with LED strips (just 1 left) and you will be surprised how often I still return to a LED head torch and/or hand LED light.

It's GREAT that you have what looks like a fantastic build space, good use of time now to focus on this while waiting for your kit.

Incidentally I used a local courier (2 men in a white van) to pick up my kit, first time I went with them, 2nd they went on there own and each trip was about £250 which for me was a bargain compared with hiring a van.  Just make sure if you can they have a tail-lift to help unload the engine and something to a)hold b)buffer the stuff in the back like sheets and ratchet straps.

When your just about at engine fitting stage let WF/Simon know and then order your bodywork as its about 6 weeks from commitment.  My 2nd delivery was body work, carpet, hood, seats doors and a few other bits you don't need up until that point.

Love the build space

• Like 1