Sign in to follow this  
GaryH

Throttle Bodies

My sigma engined car is currently running on what I believe is the standard throttle body and manifold, for light car it has decent power, 142 bhp when last mapped at Northampton Motorsport.

I’m thinking of upgrading to multiple throttle bodies, either the DanST Engineering GSXR starter kit [we’ve got them on our family project car], or as they are relatively local to me - Jenvey direct to head throttle bodies. I’ve found a tuner who still has a working dongle to remap the Alpha ecu, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

I know about balancing the length of induction/trumpets etc, but just because I do I want to avoid making a bonnet cut out if I can. Have any of you managed multiple throttle body installations without a bonnet cut out? If so what did you use?

Gary

I don't know about the sigma engine but it can definitely be done to zetec engines,I think 40mm trumpets and no bonnet hole required 

As a counter point, longer trumpets worked much better for me and a cut out means nice cold air.

Also, when mapping, the bonnet is usually off, so might as well replicate that :)

The DanST Kit works really well, lovely inlet manifold of his on mine that matches the ports and bodies beautifully. 

Cut out doesn’t look too bad imo. 

B5CACF85-9850-43D5-80F3-C7202FCD75AC.jpeg

• Like 1

I really can't see the sense in settling for less power/torque etc just to save having a bonnet cut out myself, done neatly like Chris has suites the car :)

The other option is roller barrel ITB''s,but they are quite a lot more expensive 

• Like 1

We tested my mates Duratec car at Emeralds when being mapped with and without the bonnet and the difference was ........................ feck all.................. Which even made Dave Walker scratch his head as theory would have it , it should be more with cooler air. But looking how the Omex kit for the S2000 is hidden in the engine bay with no fresh 'cooler' air getting to it and I can tell you the S2000 engine is quite a hot lump when at temperature and also when making power, does make you think differently to it.

Hi all

Thanks for opinions, advice and tips. On the cold air intake point I've found that Pipercross do a ducted air box that fits a P600 backplate. If I can get it to fit with decent trumpets I might be able to get away with not cutting the bonnet and still fix the ducting to pick up cold air - sounds like some measuring and in the best tradition of the project Binky boys some CAD coming up.

Thanks again.

Gary

Hi Gary, if you can get hold of @am46006 (he doesn't use the forum much), then he might be able to help you, too. For his own car, Andy has made a ducted intake that looks very neat without the awkward entry angle of the Pipercross box.

Here is his creation: 

Thanks again. Looks really good.

Gary

Cold air is only one part of the (debatable) equation. The main reason I cut my bonnet was to be able to use much longer trumpets to maximise torque (allegedly).

175ftlb from a stock Zetec seems good enough to me.

Hi Gary @GaryHif you want to get in touch with Andy drop me a pm, he made a airbox for mine and it works a treat on Jenveys, mine is a mk1, hisk2 is a far better fit, just bear with me I am away for a couple of days and internet is a bit hit and miss.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks, I'll send a pm.

Gary

On 5/11/2018 at 07:46, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Cold air is only one part of the (debatable) equation. The main reason I cut my bonnet was to be able to use much longer trumpets to maximise torque (allegedly).

175ftlb from a stock Zetec seems good enough to me.

Us Honda boys need 5 ft trumpets to just bring in a bit of torque. We would kill any pedestrian walking on the pavement with them :laugh: