Big Head nut/ fixing

BugMan

Soon on my to-do list is mounting the front mudguards on my Sport 250, and was thinking of using the Big Head fasteners but ideally wanted the "nut" version.

Anybody got any suggestions for a supplier?

Thought M5 nuts would be a safer option than the standard M5 bolt's in protecting the tiers and maybe a bit less bending required, but any suggestions welcome?

I used the standard M5 Bighead studs (16mm I think) with foam tape and Nylocs - they've been fine for several years and trackdays. I think I just drilled at 5.5 or 6mm to get the clearance for an easy fit without bending

5 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I used the standard M5 Bighead studs (16mm I think) with foam tape and Nylocs - they've been fine for several years and trackdays. I think I just drilled at 5.5 or 6mm to get the clearance for an easy fit without bending

Thanks bud, I'll go with that then was just checking was not doing something stupid

Aerodynamix used to keep the studs too

5 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

"foam tape"?

Not looking to steal this thread, but having picked up some new cycle wings at Stoneleigh, I have this job to do as well :d

Any recommendations for suppliers of said M5 x 16 big head, male thread fasteners?

Kevin, I just used car builder solutions M5 fixings. Bolted to the frames, then a blob of polyurethane adhesive. Let it set for a few hours, then reach under and flatten the blobs sticking through the fixing. When set, then remove the wing, turn upside down and fibreglass in place. Remember to mask the threads. I used squares of mat about 2 1/2 inches square and about 2 or 3 layers. Allow to set and off you go. Remember the most important bit and that it to heavily key the underside of the wing before and attempt to glue and glass and it will be fine.

4 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Kevin, I just used car builder solutions M5 fixings. Bolted to the frames, then a blob of polyurethane adhesive. Let it set for a few hours, then reach under and flatten the blobs sticking through the fixing. When set, then remove the wing, turn upside down and fibreglass in place. Remember to mask the threads. I used squares of mat about 2 1/2 inches square and about 2 or 3 layers. Allow to set and off you go. Remember the most important bit and that it to heavily key the underside of the wing before and attempt to glue and glass and it will be fine.

Thanks Justin.

I saw them on the CBS website, but hate paying their ludicrous postal charges!

1 minute ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Thanks Justin.

Dont forget its post free from the show and 10 % off ;)

1 minute ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Thanks Justin.

ring up if a small order and getting envelope postal prices :cool:

Just now, Thrustyjust said:

Dont forget its post free from the show and 10 % off ;)

Missed that boat then! That's the problem with last minute purchases, never consider what else might be required!

1 minute ago, darve said:

ring up if a small order and getting envelope postal prices :cool:

Good shout!

Got my big head fasteners from East Coast Fibreglass, fixed with their two part adhesive and reinforced with grp matting.  No Probs

1 hour ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Missed that boat then!

No you haven't, it's for the next 7 days...  the code is 'showsave' :yes: