Stoneleigh 2018 feedback and ideas

Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - Treasurer

Looking at others comments, I also think the marquee could have been more of a focal point, but I'm not convinced adding more cars would necessarily acheive this. There were 150+ cars to view, so the inside content may benefit from being different.

The part refurbed car was a good addition, but may have been better parked in the middle and roped off, to make it more of a display item.

Although it would involve some logistics, an engine or two on stands would be something different to look at (I always think seeing the size of an engine out of the car makes you wonder how it ever fits under the bonnet of a Westfield.

Make the refreshments area more "café" like, with a decent seating area inside and give the merchandise area a bit more space.

The cars are all around for everyone to see, why not make the marquee a club area which is, after all, what we are trying to promote.

My two penneth.

• Like 1

It's hard to critique when the volunteers have done a brilliant job so first off well done to all.

What I find in the Marquee is when its busy its hard to get an overall feel in the area on where to go to, I agree having a focal display in the centre may work,  ideally it would work better if this is raised. 

My other thought is could the Marquee be moved into the centre of the allocated area so the cars are all around it.

As far as the speed series stand yes I missed it, would it be possible to get a stand next to the Westfield stand or is there an desire to separate 

Unfortunately I feel Stoneleigh is dying and wont be long before it comes to an end, which is a shame as the kit car market is moving up with quality cars but I just can't see the interest their use to be.

But again I would like to say great job from WSCC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CL290005 said:

My other thought is could the Marquee be moved into the centre of the allocated area so the cars are all around it.

We have had this comment as few times and although it is a good idea we are restricted with underground cables and we have to follow ground penetration advise, there are main cables running down the centre of the plot

• Thanks 1

Exactly this ^

Sometime after @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO's 27th Pint, I recall him saying something along the lines that he loves his role, but we just don't stretch his technical abilities enough. I therefore propose he develops a Pokemon Go style app to be used at Stoneleigh and local meets to help us all link our online friends with the real bodies they occupy. 

This app would use GPS locating beacons already in smart phones and augmented reality to superimpose Forum names over smartphone camera images to show us a view such as below.

image.thumb.png.e03d884d7f28aeb3221f2b623fad1292.png

In the above example you could keep walking from Julie to find Trevor in the Marque, with the aid of the phone app. As I'm sure @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO likes to exceeds targets, he could also include a number plate recognition tool to advise forum username when looking at cars through your smart phone too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

A perfect use for facial recognition software too! Excellent idea Ian. :yes:

Yeah sounds easy enough, I’ll add it to my list of extra curricular jobs.

Will be ready for Stoneleigh 2030 :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Why use tecnhology when a hat with the yellow signs as above stuck to peoples heads means no one has a flat battery . Could be tricky on a windy day though............:d

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Why use tecnhology when a hat with the yellow signs as above stuck to peoples heads means no one has a flat battery . Could be tricky on a windy day though............:d

And TJ wins the internet for the day. Forget name badge for next year, it’s big yellow triangles and special hats. :laugh:

• Haha 3

The club could supply neck braces brandishing our club for whiplash protection for wind above 10mph . I think thats better than a tool roll !! 

20 hours ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Happy to bring my car next year, plus the Sigma engine, bellhousing, bike carbs, exhaust, manifolds plus other sundries and watch the transformation?

:getmecoat:

Miracles we can do, the impossible takes slightly longer :p:p

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Trevturtle said:

We used my label printer for badges this year. Sticky badge WSCC logo, name etc.

We pre printed all the volunteer badges before the event, but didn't want to print badges on request until we'd tested the process......small steps, no big leaps as there was enough to 'juggle' over the weekend :d

The few badges we did print worked ok (Thanks Anna :yes: @a15cro) .. so we may extend this next year

As part of the testing process we tried updating forums names on certain members  badges because of unfortunate events over the weekend..( where's my map? :p). That worked very well, caused a chuckle and I had to run away :)

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO with the new api we talked about could we do a checkin system?

cheers john

2 hours ago, Ian Tolfree (tolf) - North London AO said:

Miracles we can do, the impossible takes slightly longer :p:p

At least nothing will be seized , being a crossflow removal :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

At least nothing will be seized , being a crossflow removal :getmecoat:

I really should just keep my head down :laugh:

• Haha 3