Trip to De-Havilland Aircraft Museum, London Colney

Hi all

The next North London trip will be a visit to the De-Havilland museum in London Colney on June 3rd. For those of you who don't know this place, it is where they built the Mosquito wooden gliders, which were used in WWII and the raid on Pegasus Bridge in France. Loads of things to see, and there may be the option of a guided tour - which we will have confirmed on the day. Cost is £12 for entry.

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/

The museum have kindly agreed to let us park up under the wings of several aircraft, so we should be able to get some great pics for the 2019 WSCC Calendar etc.

Suggest we meet at Nottcutts Garden centre in St Albans for a spot of breakfast at 9.30am and then drive down to the museum from there. Address below for info:

Museum: Salisbury Hall, Shenley, London Colney AL2 1BU - opens at 10.30

Breakfast: Hatfield Road, Smallford, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL4 0HN

Please let me know if you can join us, as it would be great to get a nice number of cars & drivers.

Thanks Ian

• Like 2

Any takers for this visit?

• 2 weeks later...

So no-one interested in this visit then?

If not then I will tell the museum we have no one interested, which I am sure is not really the case :(

Definitely worth visiting.  There was a wscc trip here in the last 3 or 4 years so maybe impacting take up 

I'll be there of course and having spoken to Troy (NMS) who is a fan, we are hoping he will be along too. Obviously will be mildly embarrassing if a significant sponsor comes along and there is just me and Tolf in attendance.

So roll up folks, I'll buy tea...

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP for the final time before I give up!

Cannot believe you have no interest.

Sounds absolutely fantastic.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Cannot believe you have no interest.

Sounds absolutely fantastic.

It does, I love an aircraft museum.

I've been on the two previous runs to the museum and have to say that both were excellent. 

Unfortunately for me my weekends are way too busy at the moment to make it this time but I'd strongly reccomend it to anyone else who can make it.

1DSC_0602.jpg

1DSC_0717.jpg

I would have loved to come, unfortunately I have a prior engagement.  I did make it on a previous occasion and it was great, I still haven't started the model kit Mosquito though, one day it will get built, maybe.  (I still have an unbuilt DC130 and drones kit in the loft that I have had nearly 30 years so it could be some time!)

Well that was a nice trip out this morning. Beautiful weather with Andy and Josh joining in for the trip to the Mosquito museum. The museum have completed one Mosquito renovation and are busy on the next one, unlikely to fly in the UK but a great piece of heritage.  A new hanger is being purchased next year, so the more visitors they can get the better.

we even got a tour ‘behind the scenes’ where the restoration area is and an overview of the current project by the president of De Havilland Aircraft Trust.

Few pics of the day including a random Caterham 

7518D662-D96F-4173-AC03-93D451195B91.jpeg

DBC050D0-3DA3-4DD2-8CF9-226CC3BD978A.jpeg

FFFD2E97-5F21-4DDF-A737-83DC6A515DDE.jpeg

18F300EA-9DF0-4A82-8028-D97BE7CF008E.jpeg

51FD7C8D-DA22-4AF8-8D31-63235DB454B4.jpeg

7CA5401E-78ED-4F8F-B54D-3CC8F150EF5C.jpeg

C7DF0A88-E1F1-4914-A7CF-776220BB3939.jpeg

3967FDD4-99FB-409D-8133-792B68E9CDEE.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for organising Tolf, they have made such great progress since we were last there. Shame it was just the three of us, they are very accommodating.

Let's try again next year when they get their new hangar...