IanReid

Mazda SDV build (Surrey Area)

IanReid

I'm building a Mazda SDV at a very leisurely rate in the Surrey area. I've created this topic to cover all aspects of the build I might need advice on.

First question is shock absorbers. I intend to use my Westie as primarily a road based car, with the possible the occasional track day. So my question is are the shock absorbers that Westfield will sell you the best value for money? I assume they OEM them, rather than build them themselves. Can you buy them cheaper elsewhere? Are there other alternatives?

• Like 1

EBD Engineering

i got mine from blink motorsport there protech shocks. the westfield ones im sure are fine but be aware buying shocks from somehwere else the lengths are different on the front to standard westfield lengths

Andy (Sycho)

I had mine from procomp which is another option.

John (Kernow)

Why not give @DamperMan a try as a club sponsor and owner of Spax I’m sure he will sort you out with what you need.

im surprised he doesn’t get more recommendations, all feedback  on here has been great and at least he contributes to the club.

• Like 4

Kit Car Electronics

When I finally give up on my rattling Protechs that drive me nuts, I'll be trying Spax again.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yep, I had new Protechs with my build, but given others feedback and his own comments, I’d be speaking to Damperman when it comes to replace mine, to give the Spax a try.

DamperMan

I’m a westfield owner, the main tech man also Md at Spax.   I try not to force sales or opinions.  Also don’t BS folk into thinking I know my stuff.   I don’t use the majority of the suspension jargon which makes people think it’s a black art.    I’m here primarily here as a Westfield owner.   I’m happy to help in any way I can.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

IanReid

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not quite at the stage of needing this yet, I'm just trying to do some homework in advance. Looking at the SPAX web site I can see the shocks they do for Westfields. Looking at the images these shocks don't have any springs? Is this right. Do you need to buy these separately?

DamperMan

Probably better to ask me direct than ask the forum :).   The dampers are supplied without Springs.   We make the dampers but don't make racing springs, these are bought in.  I can point you in the right direction.    Yours is a Mazda SVA so the dampers we list are not he same.       You can build the car replacing the shocks with a bit of wood with holes drilled in each end.    I can pop out one day and measure up the car and advise springs.  OR if a club member is able advise the lengths if the springs and dampers I can build dampers from that.        Tony_shakeshaft@spaxperformance.com  

• Thanks 1

EBD Engineering

the mazda shocks are 14inches open length all the way around. if you need any sizes for anything tony let me know

DamperMan

If you know your spring rates, diameter and Bush sizes that would be a start guide.   I can calculate damping rates to work, and then the adjustment to fine tune.  

Ideally if I measure a live car and weigh it I can come up with proper lengths, rates and set bumpstop lengths to keep the sump of the ground among loads of other considerations.  

• Thanks 1

EBD Engineering

I'll have a look through my files for the dyno plots for the shocks they should have the info on them 

IanReid

Thanks for the info guys. The message I'm taking from this is that it's probably best to sort out the springs and dampers when the car is nearing completion. As I'm not going to be in that position for a wile I will hold off for now. I'll use the length of wood suggestion for the time being.

IanReid

I've just ordered the ball joints for the front uprights and I read in the Westfield manual that you need a M18 1.5mm pitch tap to clear out any epoxy from the wishbone. Is this size right? I've looked at tap and dies sets on the web and they all seem to stop at M12.  Surely there's a typo there. BTW how annoying is that you need an imperial tap and dies set for the rear wishbones, and a metric one for the front. There must be a conspiracy with tool manufacturers!

Ianboom

I may be wrong, but I don't remember them being that big!

I certainly never had to run a tap through mine. Worth trying the ball joint in the wishbone before buying a tap, as long as there's no resistance threading it in, you'll be fine. Seem to remember having to buy the lock nuts separately though.

I don't think I had to run a tap over any threads during my build??

20160716_180727.jpg