SE FW ZETEC - New member/New build

tc3nitro

tc3nitro
16 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

As I always say a happy wife is a happy life! Works for me judging by the amount of carbon she’s bought me :d

Welcome to the club. I have the Aim MXS dash and a Zetec so shout up nearer the time for info. 

Chris can you tell me which version of MXS dash I need to purchase ? Can or obd/k-line. 

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tc3nitro

• BugMan

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another update tonight : My plate turned up, although I’m not that pleased with the spacing but it’s now legal!  Well sort of as I’ve not got a front plate nor am I planning on fitting one.

It’s alive ! Startup Video

Great but the traffic was aweful ! Just finished unloading and having some pizza ! here are the Pictures :  

Posted Images

Chris King - Webmaster
20 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

Chris can you tell me which version of MXS dash I need to purchase ? Can or obd/k-line. 

Depends on ECU. My ECU supports can, so that’s what I bought. With can it’s just two wires from ECU into dash and then you can access all the sensors and inputs to the ECU and therefore no need for the AIM expansion unit at an extra £250 (or whatever)

tc3nitro
27 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Depends on ECU. My ECU supports can, so that’s what I bought. With can it’s just two wires from ECU into dash and then you can access all the sensors and inputs to the ECU and therefore no need for the AIM expansion unit at an extra £250 (or whatever)

It’s the omex ecu supplied from Westfield. I’m presuming it’ll be the 600.

Chris King - Webmaster

Mines a DTA - no experience of Omex, but very common to see the 600 used on the Zetec builds. 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

The Omex 600, according to Race Technology at least, (for their ecu interface) is serial and needs to be on firmware v0.70D or later.

RT also have some handy info here on how the ecu needs to be configured.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/ECUType/OMEX600And710

Essentially a preset stream of data comes into the display in sequence. In the display config, you then (presumably) need to tell the display what format the data is in, so it knows how to break it back down into individual channels. (This bit is essentially done automatically in RT stuff, as you have an adaptor matched to the ecu). You then just assign the incoming data channels that you want to use to display channels on the display device. 

Here you go, just found the matching page on the AiM ecu site.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/racing/Omex600+710_102_eng.pdf

so physical wiring aside, you essentially just set the dash to use a Gems ecu, (that’s what the Omex ecu’s are descended from) and then configure the channels you require.

tc3nitro
23 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Here you go, just found the matching page on the AiM ecu site.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/racing/Omex600+710_102_eng.pdf

so physical wiring aside, you essentially just set the dash to use a Gems ecu, (that’s what the Omex ecu’s are descended from) and then configure the channels you require.

Brilliant thanks !

What physical wiring would I require ?

AiM list a part number in that manual for the lead. The Omex end is a male DB9 serial plug and a 3 core wire link’s it to the AiM, but I don’t know what connector the AiM has, without downloading its manual to have a look. It may be another DB9 but sometimes other connectors are used to save space.

OK, a very quick look on the AiM web site, (that’s code for double check yourself before actually ordering!) Would seem to suggest that you get a Can bus harness with them as standard, but there is an optional serial harness. Whether this is an option box you tick when ordering so that you get one or the other, or whether they all come with the CAN harness and you have to buy the serial version as an accessory I don’t know, I’m afraid.

Chris King - Webmaster

Dash comes with connectors. ECU comes with connectors. I just needed to connect the two can +ve and -ve wires. Easy peasy!

14 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Dash comes with connectors. ECU comes with connectors. I just needed to connect the two can +ve and -ve wires. Easy peasy!

What serial connector is on the AiM harness? Or is is just bare tx, rx and ground wires?

tc3nitro
28 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

You can buy the dash in 4 options race or street and then either canbus or obd/k-line.

Chris King - Webmaster
22 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

You can buy the dash in 4 options race or street and then either canbus or obd/k-line.

Yes that’s what determines the connectors you get. 

Chris King - Webmaster
2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

What serial connector is on the AiM harness? Or is is just bare tx, rx and ground wires?

Not sure Dave.