tc3nitro

SE FW ZETEC - New member/New build

These ones here is where I got them from. Never gave me a rubber ring with mine. I suppose you could use it as a dangler ring or something if  the need 'arises' :laugh:

eBay item number:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Unless you buy a pack of 4 replacement ones and carry one in the boot and they will now never split apart :rolleyes:

Yep, I have a couple of spare and mines been absolutely rock solid, no spilts or damage. :laugh:

• Haha 2

just been reviewing your build from start to finish. Did you resolve the open crankcase breather pipe?4077B959-84CA-4330-8C36-D6C1829DA5B9.jpeg.9222447e99d170264f6be8237949af94.thumb.jpeg.f240b36aa339b3ed7cf4883cbbee69a4.jpeg

I think it would be wise to do something with it if you haven't, if only a temporary measure.  As it is, I would suspect, even over a short time, it will vent oily mist over your engine bay.  On a standard zetec engine this is routed into the air intake plenum, no pipe fitted on yours as you have TB's.

Maybe a piece of hose directed to exhaust out overboard below the engine?

Wouldn't wanna see oily mist condensing on your lovely carbon panel mate.

On 05/12/2018 at 15:40, AdgeC said:

Advantage is they can be trimmed to size, both ends, to maximise coverage.

Got mine from Autobulbs Direct as well, same as Steve. Seem to have been out of stock for a while though. Been keeping an eye, with a view to getting a spare pair for just in case!

Maxparts supply them as well by the look of it, delivery seems a bit spicy though. Perhaps a bulk buy and post them out?

http://www.maxparts.biz/index.php/wiper-blades/mx10rs-detail

Adge, do these blades fit onto the standard westfield wiper arms or do they require 'fettling'

Ha ha funny you should mention this....

I fitted a blank for the oil breather system only yesterday so all this is now removed.

oh right, cool.  bear in mind though, oil may accumulate in the blanked rigid pipe as it has nowhere to go. there is a one way valve fitted at the other end where the pipe exits the breather chamber.

IMG_0041.jpg.86275c1ca7c5cbd47df7d52fae69a74d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dean Goodall said:

oh right, cool.  bear in mind though, oil may accumulate in the blanked rigid pipe as it has nowhere to go. there is a one way valve fitted at the other end where the pipe exits the breather chamber.

IMG_0041.jpg.86275c1ca7c5cbd47df7d52fae69a74d.jpg

I have removed the chamber and fitted a blank to the block.

So I no longer have any of the system to deal with.

5 hours ago, Dean Goodall said:

Adge, do these blades fit onto the standard westfield wiper arms or do they require 'fettling'

Provided the arms have bayonet connection, they should just slot on without any fettling (famous last words!).

Do I understand this correctly? You have removed the crankcase breather completely and blanked it off at the engine block

If so how will the crankcase breath?

21 minutes ago, Chris Brading said:

Do I understand this correctly? You have removed the crankcase breather completely and blanked it off at the engine block

If so how will the crankcase breath?

I was led to believe this is not needed. Am I incorrect ?

this is the blank I fitted https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183201618544

16 hours ago, Dean Goodall said:

there is a one way valve fitted 

Not quite correct (wrt a Zetec)

As it requires a vacuum to act as a valve it actually allows air to flow both ways if not connected to an inlet plenum. 

I vent mine to the same catch/breather can as the cam breather. 

Many remove the valve as they believe it stops the crank breathing unless a plenum vacuum is used.

Search for PCV Valve on here for more discussions including the possible problems a blanking plate may cause. 

My rational on this was the fact that the chamber was just blanked off anyway so I just thought I would remove the chamber anyway.

Maybe I should reinstall the chamber, pipes and blanks then ?

Thanks for the advice.

18 hours ago, Dean Goodall said:

I ordered these Maxpart wiper blades in black and then waited and waited. Called them up and they said they didnt have any black ones and maybe months before they restock :rolleyes:. Quite happy to sit with my money. Got a delivery this week a month after ordering of a cheque refund................ So bear that in mind if you want black. Stainless are in stock.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

My rational on this was the fact that the chamber was just blanked off anyway so I just thought I would remove the chamber anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

No it is not blanked off - it is designed to let the crankcase breathe. What “blanks” are you referring to?

no breathing = pressure = blown seals

36 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

Thanks for the advice.

Most zetecs don't have a problem with crank case pressure, even if the valve is blanked with a plate (mine is, and Dunnell sell the plates, too). For emissions reasons (and MOT equivalent in Germany, I think), the crank has to able to show a slight vacuum at idle through the valve, but most people get away with just relying on the cam cover vent for high load running.