Exhaust mounting question

BugMan

Hi, can I just get a quick check on the mounting of the exhaust can on the side of the car.

Now I know my Sport 250 is not the most common model and think i have found all the required bits, but just wanted to ask about the post mounting.  I think i have found the boss on the inside of the chassis, which would need drilling through from the inside, is this correct?

Supplied exhaust can, with 2 massive jubilee clips?

IMG_3037.thumb.JPG.f9320518983f84ad63493b812e238658.JPG

Rubber anti vibration block

IMG_3038.thumb.JPG.3e92fb1388604631762b0f5fbb00812e.JPG

Exhaust hanging on the driver side

5ae24e3a6f087_IMG_3039(1).thumb.JPG.6c512bb5386d9bacdfaf90b498762cbe.JPG

Hole i think I need to drill through from the inside?

IMG_3040.thumb.JPG.03b0baef3801791a30bc6db0462f6e39.JPG

Thanks in advance

;-]

Chris King

Usually fitted with a bracket and a long sleeve with a bolt into chassis. 

F5EC6439-71CC-44BF-BF35-3C5D5D965F26.jpeg

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Yep, carefully drill small hole centrally from inside, then open it up from the outside.

The rubber mount you need, should be a angled bracket to go with it. Big jubilee clips are part of you're 250 bonus pack ;)

silencer mount goes like this

image.thumb.jpeg.a6df53fae049cb9b3cbf7c2b576f99c5.jpeg

Steve (sdh2903)

Just be aware. I noted a few instances of this rubber mount block failing as it separates with age. One neat solution is to grind off the 2 threaded studs and drill through the whole assembly and put a bolt and nut right through in its place. Might take a couple of years use but the carbon cans are expensive bits of kit to have dropping off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

You might need the jubilee clips for your trouser legs, first time you put your right foot down hard :nope:

Steve (sdh2903)
Just now, AdgeC said:

You might need the jubilee clips for your trouser legs, first time you put your right foot down hard :nope:

Fresh underwear please!! Even more so when you try to accelerate off a wet roundabout on cold tyres:o

• Haha 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Tension is no problem, for a mount designed to be used like that, and neither is shear, again provided the mount is designed to cope.

The majority does seem to last reasonably well with the big square type, but I freely admit I carry a spare, Ive had one fail in fourteen ish years.

I suspect the biggest issue is the angle it’s mounted at, it’s in both tension, probably ok, and shear, less ok. In addition, if the exhaust and brackets don’t fall properly in line, and they don’t always, it ends up with a twist on it too. (Look at some, and the steel mounting faces aren’t parallel. I suspect it’s these that tend to fail)

None the less, if you want to be belt and braces about it, especially if you plan to use the car in harsh environments, like trackdays, the drill and bolt through approach is a good compromise.

32 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

i have two jubillee clips wrapped around mine to hold it together

Can we get a picture Ben, I'd like to see?

Yeh I'll post a pic won't be until tomorrow though. Its basically just two jubilee clips wrapped around the rubber holding it together as it's starting to split. I did think about making a nylon one with a hole right through but haven't had the time 

@BugMan my jubilee clips appear to have fallen off lol so I wouldn't use that method my mount has survived though for a good few years ill just wrap some wire around it now to stop it falling apart and then make a nylon one when I get time 

• Haha 1
Andy (Sycho)
15 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

@BugMan my jubilee clips appear to have fallen off lol so I wouldn't use that method my mount has survived though for a good few years ill just wrap some wire around it now to stop it falling apart and then make a nylon one when I get time 

It’s not like you to have stuff falling of your car:d

• Haha 1