FW style boot lid lock's

BugMan

Just looking at the placement of the FW boot lid lock's, can anybody shed any light on the distance from the edge or center line that these should be fitted, as the FW manual has a drawing, but no dimensions?

Confirm with your locks though. Westfield changed lock suppliers a few years ago, and if the FW boot locks are anything like the ZK boot locks, the locking tabs are a different length, and need the barrel fitting in a slightly different position, depending on whether they’re new style or old style locks.

Thanks Dave I have pulled them out of the bag and will measure the throw of the locking plate before I drill the holes, just in case.

If you look at the panel from the side there should be a mark in the gel coat where the locks go

1 hour ago, jonjh1964 said:

If you look at the panel from the side there should be a mark in the gel coat where the locks go

True, but again a lot of those marks were for the original lock supplier Westfield used for twenty odd year. Use them as a guideline, but check! I very, very nearly got caught out when fitting my ZK boot lid, which came with fitting instructions for the earlier, IVA friendly flater escutcheon locks. The new style very raised and angular locks have a different length locking tab, which wouldn't have worked at the old distances. Fortunately, I'd only got as far as drawing the hole position on to the lid, (masking taped up), when I realised the holes would have been wrong.

I'd also say I have yet to find anything like marks in the fibreglass on the FW panels yet, they were missing on the scuttle as well.

See and few people recently going through IVA have just taken the boot lid off, pre-test.  I was wondering if a large enough rubber grommet under the locking mechanism and between the lock barrel and the fibreglass would work for IVA, just in case?

Mine was ok at IVA, but believe it's the sharp edge that's the problem, it's chamfered but has "sharp"corner. Think a grommet would have to effectively cover the full depth protruding.

Yeah, the older locks were quite flat, not protruding too much, with a softer more rounded shoulder, (same outer parts as on the bonnet locks), the newer ones sit a lot more proud of the surface, and have quite a sharp angle change at the  top. It’s this bit that I think is supposed to be the problem.

This is one fitted into a ZK style boot lid, but unless they’ve changed again, it was what was being supplied for FW use too.

035BF4DC-20D3-41ED-A4C5-02D111B6C8AC.jpeg

You can see how much more pronounced it is with barely any degree of radius, let alone an IVA safe one.

Projections of <5mm only need to be blunted, which is generally interpreted as "not sharp to the touch". So if the part of the lock above the boot lid surface is no taller than 5mm then it should be acceptable.

I got some of these which should do the trick (I got a 30mm pair, keyed alike).

My inspector didn't much like the look of the boot locks.  He suggested that we remove the lid and continue the test like that...

Will take a picture of the supplied items when I'm back in the garage later, from memory mine look like those eBay versions.

Thanks all

On 24/04/2018 at 14:44, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Yeah, the older locks were quite flat, not protruding too much, with a softer more rounded shoulder, (same outer parts as on the bonnet locks), the newer ones sit a lot more proud of the surface, and have quite a sharp angle change at the  top. It’s this bit that I think is supposed to be the problem.

This is one fitted into a ZK style boot lid, but unless they’ve changed again, it was what was being supplied for FW use too.

035BF4DC-20D3-41ED-A4C5-02D111B6C8AC.jpeg

You can see how much more pronounced it is with barely any degree of radius, let alone an IVA safe one.

I have been recently supplied with these from the factory for my fw. Boot off for the Iva for me.