Soft Bits Boot Bag

Chester

Going to the Le Mans Classic this year and want to get hold of a boot bag to fit to my FW for extra luggage space.

Just wondering if anyone has one they no longer want.

Chester are you one of the nwkcog team then? :d

Nope - going with a mate who has an Ultima 

Yeah, I used one of their 60 litre bags last year for Le Mans. Excellent quality and perfect fit on the car.F6726AB1-71BD-4275-913C-1DF8A877ACD5.jpeg

Get one with a heavy material. The light nylon ones if you don't pack em out solid might flap about in the wind.

The Lomo are very good, I think, if I remember right, I got one on @Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO recommendation after he used them extensively on an Alpine tour a few years back. Mine survived 1400 miles round Northern France and back without even looking like it had been used, last year! It was exposed as well, being on the back of the car, outside the half Hood. (Indeed, the last minute modifications to my old half hood that let me use it with the bag, meant the bag survived the trip without a hitch, whereas the half Hood would disassemble itself above 75mph!

• Like 1

Have ordered a 60L Lomo bag

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary do the bunjee straps cause any scratches to the body work? I have an FW so the straps will be pulled tight over the rear lip of the boot. I should be able to find somewhere underneath the car to attach them to and was thinking about using the harness eyes at the top.

I was going to use the shoulder strap to secure the bag to the rollbar somehow.

My four year old bodywork is extremely soft and scratches very easily, but even so, the bungees don’t seem to have marked it, (or if they have it’s no more than the normal day to day wear and tear). 

Note, I bought one of those anti slip mats (in blue, so doesn’t show up that well in the picture) to go on top of the boot lid, under the bag. That was great, really stopped the bag sliding around, and zero scratches.

I bolted some small D ring attachment points under the edge of the rear bodywork, and on top of the boot lid moulding, the bungee cords are hooked on to these. (Oh and I got cords with little cross pieces on the hooks, that providing they’re snapped into place, mean the hooks can’t pull off.

Not sure what sort of roll bar you have, I did have the shoulder strap draped over mine, but as it’s the slant shouldered type, I found it rode up the tubes at the slightest excuse. I trapped it under the bungees and that stopped it riding up. Just gave a little extra peace of mind. 

- I was so nervous at doing all those miles with just bungee cord holding it, but in reality it was absolutely fine!

Thanks Dave - I have the same roll bar.

I was wondering about ratchet straps or cam buckle straps?

I have a couple of pieces of the blue anti slip mats that I was planning on using. I could also use a piece of that to protect the body work if I used the ratchet/cam buckle straps.

I like the idea of the d ring attachments - I'll look into that

I’ve used ratchet straps and cam buckle straps before, but always used to see the tourers do long distances with just bungees, so thought I’d give it a try.

Id say the bungees actually work better - with the proviso that you get the right length for what you need. (So that there’s enough tension); they seem to “grip” the bags much better than webbing straps and ratchets or cam-locks, and as they’re effectively self adjusting, don’t work loose on a few hundred mile run down the motorway/autoroute, even if the bags contents shift a little inside it.

Non elasticated straps work best where there is no or absolutely minimal “give” in both the item being secured and the thing your fixing to.

Good point about the ratchet straps.

What length bungee straps did you use?

Look at Rok Straps.... brilliant.

Some of them have hooks on the end and others have a loop that does not scratch.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.