MattV

Coolant leak identified + zetec cooling system questions

MattV

Hi All,

To avoid further hi-jacking Julie's raceline water rail fitting thread further, thought I'd put this into a new thread.

So my car decided to deposit all its coolant on the floor the other day, and suspecting a dodgy thermostat housing I've ordered the Raceline water rail.
Whilst waiting for it to arrive, decided to strip out the existing set up

IMG_0955.thumb.jpg.a384a48ca98d2c77198e1555b4276b2f.jpg

IMG_0954.thumb.jpg.352b6318be230c434c732e2d6c165dd8.jpg

This looks like the sender unit for the temp gauge in the dash and looks pretty corroded/knackered, so I think this might be the cause of my leak.  Everything else looks fine.

IMG_0953.thumb.jpg.a85cb1b85c9e29b76136b99b077851e3.jpg

Does this thermostat look right?  I figured that whilst cold it should be sealing the coolant path but there's a gap of around 1cm?

Raceline recommend getting rid of the expansion tank that I'm currently running, but I note that when @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO fitted her water rail it was kept?
Image supplied by Raceline is below

DSC00607.thumb.JPG.f2b7635cd1dd395ebe373066142c676d.JPG

As you can see they're running the over flow from the 'stat housing into an overflow bottle down near the headlight.
This system looks like a simpler set up and would reduce potential future failure points, so I'm throwing this to the WSCC experts - keep the expansion tank on the scuttle, or set up as per raceline?

Thanks All!

Mat

John (Kernow)

try this link and Scroll down to the instructions supplied by Blink motorsport it should have all the info you need. John

Chris King - Webmaster

As far as I know, they don’t use an expansion tank, they just need something for any excess water to go into. But best check!!

One thing that confuses me though is where’s the bypass when engine is cold?

MattV

Thanks @John (Kernow), that’s really helpful. 

I think I finally understand the purpose of the various components now too!

Just need Raceline to hurry up and deliver the parts now - it killed me today not being able to go out in the sunshine!

Trevturtle
12 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

As far as I know, they don’t use an expansion tank, they just need something for any excess water to go into. But best check!!

One thing that confuses me though is where’s the bypass when engine is cold?

Correct  Chris, the recommend  fitting is without an expansion tank , but the system does run at very high pressure when hot.  Nowhere to expand!

I fitted  an expansion tank after a year.1. It runs a a sensible  pressure, 2. You can see how much water there is in it. 

If I remember  correctly the 'expansion  tank" in the picture  above catches fluid when the system is  over pressure.  It  act as an overflow tank...not expands and contracts.

Bypass.. there isn't one on a raceine rail....

John (Kernow)

No problem Matt I had the same questions when fitting mine and this guide from Blink was very useful. I’ve had mine fitted as in the picture below and temps are rock solid and as Trev says you can check the coolant level easily. John

90A3F7CC-6BB4-45BB-86B9-467698B20668.thumb.jpeg.607b93209456b35c3eea275adc66ffbb.jpeg

MattV

Aaargh! This is a nightmare....

ordered all of the bits from Chris at Raceline and I think he’s sent the wrong bits out to me. 

Silicone top hose fits ok, but the bottom one is too long by about 6”. Could cut it down I suspect, but not what I thought I would need to do. 

The temp sensor for the ECU also doesn’t fit into the hole on the back of the water rail, and despite telling then I wanted to keep the heater and expansion tank they have only sent 2 silicone hoses. 

I did send them the link to @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO

post with all of the pictures and parts prices so not sure how this has happened. Also cost me £50 more than you paid Julie. 

Raaagh, time to give them a call on Monday

Julie Hall - Peak District AO

@MattV I bought the silicon hoses from Auto Silicon Hoses and I have replaced every hose on the car, by choice as my rubber ones were getting old anyway, Glen wanted red ones.

The temp sensor for the ECU does not fit, I had my good friend Trevturtle drill and tap it out.

I have a header tank with a pressure cap on it and I am finding that my engine is running a little hot. I have been informed that I need to replace my pressure cap on the thermostat housing with a blank cap. One is in the post and should have come today, so I expect it to arrive on Monday. I will let you know if it works.

MattV

Thanks Julie. I think I might try and get a refund on the hoses provided by Raceline and purchase a set from AS instead. 

Will have to try and find a local engineering shop to drill out the sensor hole. 

Frustrated as I thought this would be more straightforward!!

Kevin Wood

I have the setup shown with the small expansion tank from Raceline in front instead of the larger one on the scuttle panel.

It works perfectly OK. The principle is slightly different to the alternative setup because the expansion tank is normally isolated from the cooling system. In this setup you do fit a pressure cap on the top of the water rail. The outlet from the water rail to the expansion tank runs to a dip tube that ends at the bottom of the expansion tank.

As the coolant expands, the pressure builds until the pressure cap lifts and excess coolant flows into the expansion tank to limit the pressure.

As the system cools down again, another valve in the pressure cap opens to allow the coolant back in again.

This is basically the same system that is used in the MX 5. It works perfectly well and self-bleeds with no problems.