What have I done now..... V6 seiw build

Steve (sdh2903)

DonPeffers

It's a new Government computer system. You type in Aberdeen and Nottingham comes out and vice versa.

Type in Westfield and Caterham comes out and vice versa.

What's the problem?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve (sdh2903)

• CosKev

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A socially distanced pass 

Well after 8 months with no westy in the garage I'm now the proud (Well ish) owner of  a lot of parts that may well, one day, end up drivable  A cheeky eBay bid later (not expecting to win mind) a

Not sure it would make much difference. The pwm bosch valve has very small increments of movement. A 1 percentage point of movement is almost impossible to see by eye.   Got back on to inter

Posted Images

When I bought mine, the log book said it was an estate 🤣🤣🤣

I ended up sending the logbook in with pictures to prove it. All I can think is when they were on another column they scrolled through not realising it was still on body type and I gained a roof and big boot. 🤦‍♂️

However yours is clearly a major typo 

Nicest caterham I've seen bud 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
SootySport

Hi Steve,   I’ve just bought a Rocketeer Mx5,   Sump baffled Already. I’m curious you have 229bhp and mine was dynoed at 269.   Was looking for a NA mx5 as a donor but came across a ready converted NB, how could I not buy it.

5E305F4A-C16F-4EC4-8403-4231FB75008A.png

A1AC30BD-BC4B-4424-9736-92CDD99AB854.jpeg

• Like 3
Steve (sdh2903)

Very nice bernie. Did you manage to get hold of Bruce? 

Does yours have the ME ecu with no vvt or is it one of the newer ones with the VVT activated? 

Regarding the dyno figures mine was on a hub dyno so they always read less than a rolling road dyno. There's a very good explanation from blink motorsports about halfway down the page here 

https://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=282649

So blink have compared their figures on the hub dyno and they would be multiplied by 1.3 on the Northampton motorsports rolling road. I've seen this multiplication banded about from anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4. 

So at those figures mines possibly running somewhere in the 260 to 290 range on a rolling road based on those guesstimates. But it's more how it drives to me that matters. 

Steve (sdh2903)

So the v5 issue was very swiftly rectified by a lovely lady at the dvla and I kept the same registration. The new v5 arrived less than 24 hours later. 

A busy week at work has restricted play time but have been getting out and about for some short journeys. Had a couple of wee teething issues that have been sorted. 

Did have a very embarrassing moment the other night. I had the lad out with me and I launched it properly from a start (not showing off just testing obviously) and hit 60 and it just died. Felt like no fuel/spark as everything else was working fine. Turns out I had underestimated the amp draw of the ignition system at full chat and it had blown the fuse. I had gone 20 amp as that what the jag used but then forgotten that I have the coils and injectors off the same fuse where the jag are separate. More embarrassing was the fact my pouch of spare fuses were at home. Doh. 

Luckily it wasn't dark enough to fully need headlights I nicked the fuse and got it home on sidelights. Much to the lads amusement. 

Got out again today for a couple of hours. Nice view of the Clyde apart from the grafitti. Then down the coast for a largs ice cream stop before heading back. 

20200929_200900_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.3409926ebbe35dd9fed0796aa455126c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I co-incidentally blew my ECU fuse on my first run out post registration and I'd got no fuses or spares in the car either! A bigger fuse was borrowed and I got home and split the Vtec solenoid off to it's own feed! Glad to see you out and about at last!

• Haha 1
Steve (sdh2903)

One thing I wasn't happy with on the car were the orange candles in Jam jars masquerading as headlights. The first time I had my 9 year old daughter out last week we were nearly taken out by a nobber in a pick up overtaking a cyclist, nobber no 2 followed In a brand new tesla. There was no excuse for it but decided more visibility required. 

Went for some wisamic lights that have a built in drl. I could have probably got them half price off aliexpress but I wanted use of them now. 

20200929_120158_copy_2016x2688.thumb.jpg.18718cb9a003014c9953810d77cf55d3.jpg

20200929_121907_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.016d8d5b736157700a97ff51f14aab60.jpg

I've wired the drl to act as sidelights for now and I'll just leave sidelights on all the time when driving. I may well wire them to an ignition live over the winter.  They are very noticeable but not offensibly bright so may get away with them at mot time but I'll worry about that down the line. 

This is one halogen headlight. 

20200928_194523_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.d32b25ac38cd3ac710b477577d24d06a.jpg

The other side being the new led unit. 

20200928_194639_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.7bf0256c54db2e458fbafc61154aa3cd.jpg

Definitely projects its light forward better and wider. Just such a "clean" light. 

Both leds

20200929_195012_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.a5fc9d3191c29862890ed6b57e760064.jpg

Full beam 

20200929_195130_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.8868717ef30bc6da90db68f47ee41a73.jpg

Give a good flat cut off too. 

20200929_195301_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.585342bb58f07636134615001e2d2b57.jpg

Look forward to a night run to try them properly now. I have a good few days off in October so I'm planning a couple of long ish ventures up north if the weather plays ball and wee nicola doesn't lock us up. 

• Like 7

Looks like Rocketeer have had a rethink on selling parts for the conversion 😏

Selling them again now separately!

Screenshot_20200930-174517_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

Yeah at one point they'd stopped even selling the complete mx5 kits and were only doing turn key cars. I got the impression that they were getting swamped with technical queries from builders who had bitten off more than they could chew. Even though the way they sent out parts and the manual was brilliant. 

Must have realised there was still a decent market. (best get a spare engine sorted before the prices jump :d

• Like 2
Steve (sdh2903)
16 hours ago, SootySport said:

What size headlights Steve?

5 3/4 inch. From amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisamic-Headlight-Compatible-Davidson-Sportster/dp/B07W52FJPY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wisamic+5-3%2F4+5.75+inch+led+headlight&qid=1601645995&sr=8-4

I had them out in the dark last night and they were great on full beam. I need to lift them up a bit as they are a bit low on dipped beam. 

Steve (sdh2903)

Well I thought I could get away with leaving the 25mm spacers on with the new wheels, well I couldn't they were just a wee bit too wide. so ordered up some 15mm ones that came with new studs. The 25mm ones were the bolt on type so had to come off and new studs in. I just whipped the hubs out and pressed the new ones in as they had a longer splined section and wouldn't wind in with a nut. 

All good now clearance wise and no rubbing 2 up. 

When out testing the headlights I did notice a funny noise almost like a brake pad rubbing but once a revolution rather than continuously. Checked it out today and when I first fitted the 13s I did check everything for clearance but forgot to do it after changing the spacers and looks like I was just grazing the wheel weights on the rear caliper fins. (seems a lot of wheel weights aswell) 

20201002_121254_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.8cec95bdcdc91fff8f38df0ed75f93d4.jpg

A quick blast of the angry grinder relieved  the calipers of some material and all is well clear again. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

. (seems a lot of wheel weights aswell) 

My tyre fitter would take the tyre off and rotate it 180 degrees, if it was looking like needing that much to balance it.

Steve (sdh2903)

I agree. Although the valve markings on the tyre line up with the valve and the wheels and tyres had seen very little use when I got them. The other rear wheel is the same aswell. 

I'll get them off and checked at some point over the winter. 

• Like 1

What rear brakes are you running? I'd have though the fronts more likely to clash than rears, though I appreciate the offsets are different front to rear.