What have I done now..... V6 seiw build

Steve (sdh2903)

corsechris

That does look like a nice adapter ring doesn't it. Nic looking sump as well.

Does the kit allow you to get the engine 'square' or will it be leaning over a bit still?

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve (sdh2903)

• CosKev

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A socially distanced pass 

Well after 8 months with no westy in the garage I'm now the proud (Well ish) owner of  a lot of parts that may well, one day, end up drivable  A cheeky eBay bid later (not expecting to win mind) a

Not sure it would make much difference. The pwm bosch valve has very small increments of movement. A 1 percentage point of movement is almost impossible to see by eye.   Got back on to inter

Posted Images

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

It does look a very nice kit. Likewise I’m not normally a fan of adaptor plates, but that looks quite interesting. Good stuff!

Steve (sdh2903)
12 hours ago, corsechris said:

Does the kit allow you to get the engine 'square' or will it be leaning over a bit still?

Yes it will sit square once all assembled.

corsechris
1 hour ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Yes it will sit square once all assembled.

Ah, that makes life easier for a longitudinal install doesn’t it. I was thinking that if it had ended up a bit clocked, it might not be too bad a thing in that it would shift the weight a bit to the left side, ideal for a RHD car with no passenger :)

keep the pictures coming.....

Steve (sdh2903)

Had  a couple of hours today so got the engine and box slaved together, after wrestling out a couple of corroded dowel pins that is.

20180604_112143-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.2178d3e6d011cda814c99dff473fb61b.jpg

Then dropped into place. Amazingly it fits without too much drama. I did have to cut off the alloy lug on the side of the box to get it back far enough.

20180604_125625-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.a4cee044a9d7e99ad91122c3f4892eac.jpg20180604_125630-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.6a7e97968e73e8dca00249c44a384aa2.jpg

The drivers side engine mount is going to be easy enough to sort but the passenger side is going to be a bit of a headache as there's not many pickups on the block and the oil filter is in the way. It would also be easier to have the alternator on the drivers side too but that then causes steering issues.

• Like 3
neptune

Really interesting to watch Steve, That looks like it will need a very big bonnet bulge !!

• Like 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

They have been made to fit beneath a V8 bonnet, at least with standard induction, previously. But that does look tall on a bare chassis. That said, so does the F20C Honda engine. You forget how much height the scuttle and bonnet add.

Steve (sdh2903)

Having slaved on the nose cone I actually think it will go under the standard bonnet I have. Although I'm keeping an eye open for a v8 bonnet. The inlets from rocketeer are quite slender to fit in the mx5 height wise but I may struggle width ways. If not it will be an air box in the central valley.

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

This is the side that's giving me a headache. Some of the pickups are on different planes.

20180604_161117-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.f47a4d1e71a06f1dda2d9f85bbcff82a.jpg

But as you can see they are at differing angles

20180604_161136-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.e3c8307f940478f151977005bedf9656.jpg

The 2 either side and one below would be the ideals but then the filter is problematic.

20180604_161125-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.0c3b511bc94af514b9346cd389e43204.jpg

I think I'm going to have to make a large plate and go left of the filter. Using the 3 pick ups along the bottom and the 2 staggered ones higher up (That grey sensor plug isn't used) and incorporate an alternator mount into it too.

20180604_161117-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.f47a4d1e71a06f1dda2d9f85bbcff82a.jpg

Thrustyjust

Use some steel round bar and tap threads in both ends . You will need to compensate on the angled block ones, then get them to meet a steel plate and bolt to that and a rubber mount on the other side of the plate  between that and a fabricated chassis mount . Shouldnt be too difficult. Just have to pull a chair up and suss it. But engine looks great in there Steve ! 

• Like 2
Steve (sdh2903)
2 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Use some steel round bar and tap threads in both ends . You will need to compensate on the angled block ones, then get them to meet a steel plate and bolt to that and a rubber mount on the other side of the plate  between that and a fabricated chassis mount . Shouldnt be too difficult. Just have to pull a chair up and suss it. But engine looks great in there Steve ! 

Yeah I think I'm going to have to get the cardboard aided design on the go and pull up a pew as you suggest.

• Like 1
corsechris

How about using your preferred 3 holes surrounding the filter, but use a remote filter takeoff to get you away from the access problem?  Space the mount away enough to clear a side access takeoff plate? Having a remote filter has other benefits too, you can put it somewhere out of the way but with easy access for servicing and it would probably assist with the exhaust clearance on that side too.

Could that work?

Forgot to say, it looks good in there!

Steve (sdh2903)
1 hour ago, corsechris said:

How about using your preferred 3 holes surrounding the filter, but use a remote filter takeoff to get you away from the access problem?  Space the mount away enough to clear a side access takeoff plate? Having a remote filter has other benefits too, you can put it somewhere out of the way but with easy access for servicing and it would probably assist with the exhaust clearance on that side too.

Could that work?

Forgot to say, it looks good in there!

Thanks.

It had crossed my mind to go for a remote take off. The sump reduces oil capacity a bit so a cooler maybe in order. I think I'm going to try and make a mount plate that suits both a normal spin on filter and/or a take off should I need it at a later date.  

Thrustyjust
6 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Thanks.

It had crossed my mind to go for a remote take off. The sump reduces oil capacity a bit so a cooler maybe in order. I think I'm going to try and make a mount plate that suits both a normal spin on filter and/or a take off should I need it at a later date.  

Mocal are the oil cooler people . They maybe able to help a solution for the take off.

corsechris

I like the Mocal Laminova solution myself. Warms cold oil quickly and cools hot oil better than an air/oil setup. Pricey though, and adds more heat to the cooling system that you need to account for.

I’m  using a remote oil filter on my build purely for ease of access once it’s finished. As I fit more bits, it becomes more and more obvious that was money well spent!